Deployment Architecture

On a Splunk Enterprise deployer, how do I change the default time selection on a search head cluster?

halbeisendv
Path Finder

I have a Splunk instance that I'm using as a deployer called halfiron. I created user-prefs.conf in this directory. (/opt/etc/shcluster/apps/halfiron/user-prefs.conf) The contents of user-prefs.conf is:

[general]
default_earliest_time = @d
default_latest_time = now

On my deployer, I execute: splunk apply shcluster-bundle -target https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8089.

On one of my search head members, I review configuration.

splunk cmd btool user-prefs list --debug

/opt/splunk/etc/apps/user-prefs/default/user-prefs.conf [general]
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/user-prefs/default/user-prefs.conf datasets:showInstallDialog = 1
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/user-prefs/default/user-prefs.conf search_assistant = compact
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/user-prefs/default/user-prefs.conf search_auto_format = 0
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/user-prefs/default/user-prefs.conf search_line_numbers = 0
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/user-prefs/default/user-prefs.conf search_syntax_highlighting = light
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/halfiron/default/user-prefs.conf  [general_default]
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/user-prefs/default/user-prefs.conf appOrder = search
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/halfiron/default/user-prefs.conf  default_earliest_time = @d
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/halfiron/default/user-prefs.conf  default_latest_time = now
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/user-prefs/default/user-prefs.conf default_namespace = $default
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/user-prefs/default/user-prefs.conf hideInstrumentationOptInModal = 0
/opt/splunk/etc/apps/user-prefs/default/user-prefs.conf showWhatsNew = 1

My default time selection does not change from 24 hours to Today.

I tried changing [general] to [search], [general_default] and none worked. I tried these same settings in ui-prefs.conf. Can't seem to get the default time selection to be "Today."

0 Karma

jaxjohnny2000
Builder

pushing a bundle does not work for us.  making a manual modification to the /opt/splunk/etc/apps/user-prefs/local/user-prefs.conf does work.  and yes a user change will override the settings. 

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Parameters you used dispatch_earliest_time and dispatch_latest_time however correct parameters are dispatch.earliest_time and dispatch.latest_time as per answer given by me.

0 Karma

halbeisendv
Path Finder

I made certain to copy/paste your exact stanza.

[search]
dispatch.earliest_time = @d
dispatch.latest_time = now

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

And it didn’t worked? If not can you please paste output again of btool after changes you made in ui-prefs.conf . Also which version of Splunk are you running?

0 Karma

halbeisendv
Path Finder

btool finds the information just fine over on the search head. Running 6.6.4

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Silly question but have you tried in different browser, maybe try in Incognito mode ?

0 Karma

halbeisendv
Path Finder

Not a silly question -- yes, already tried a different browser.

0 Karma

sudosplunk
Motivator

If you're using latest version of splunk (6.6.x & 7.x.x), there is an option to set this from web under "Settings >> Server settings (under system) >> Search preferences".

alt text

0 Karma

halbeisendv
Path Finder

The problem we encountered is with a search head cluster. This solution is for a stand-alone search head.

0 Karma

sudosplunk
Motivator

Ah. I see. Pushing configuration bundle from deployer will end up in default directory even though they're present in local on deployer.

Try below and see if it works:

Create a local directory inside user-prefs app on each SH manually.
Make your changes there in order for splunk to overwrite default.earliest_time = -24h@h setting
Perform debug refresh since this is a search-time change - https://yoursplunkVIP/en-US/debug/refresh

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Hi,

Can you please configure ui-prefs.conf in your app on your Deployer ( $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/shcluster/apps/<YOUR_APP>/local/ui-prefs.conf ) with below configuration

[search]
dispatch.earliest_time = @d
dispatch.latest_time = now

Then push the bundle from Deployer to Search Heads.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...