Deployment Architecture

No spec file for: C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\master-apps\_cluster\local\index.conf

Gregski11
Contributor

I apologize in advance as variations of this question have been asked before and I Googled it to no end and I just don't get it as how it applies in my case.  I have a simple four server lab all servers running latest version of Splunk on Windows Server 2016 (Cluster Master, two Indexers, one Deployment Server) all I am trying to do is create one simple Test Index in the Index Cluster, I have read the online documentation downwards upwards and sideways so please don't point me at Splunks Overdocumentation, not being rude just so many words and so little content 

Here are the steps I follow

Created a simple index.conf file under C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\master-apps\_cluster\local on the Cluster Master with only this in it

[testClusterIndex]
repFactor=auto
homePath = $SPLUNK_DB/testClusterIndex/db/
coldPath = $SPLUNK_DB/testClusterIndex/colddb/
thawedPath = $SPLUNK_DB/testClusterIndex/thaweddb/

then I use the web to Push the bundle and that's when I get this warning:

Controller: [Not Critical]No spec file for: C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\master-apps\_cluster\local\index.conf

what spec file? where is it supposed to exist and what is it supposed to have in it and why?

so what happens after I push the Bundle, well my index.conf ends up in the C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\slave-apps\_cluster\local directory on both Indexers but no new Index is created under C:\Program Files\Splunk\var\lib\splunk aka the  $SPLUNK_DB default location

I have rebooted every server 17 times, and nothing, I have tried pushing a second Bundle with this in it

[testClusterIndex]
repFactor=auto
homePath = $SPLUNK_DB/testClusterIndex/db/
coldPath = $SPLUNK_DB/testClusterIndex/colddb/
thawedPath = $SPLUNK_DB/testClusterIndex/thaweddb/

[idx1]
repFactor = auto
homePath = $SPLUNK_DB/$_index_name/db/
coldPath = $SPLUNK_DB/$_index_name/colddb/
thawedPath = $SPLUNK_DB/$_index_name/thaweddb/

and it replaced that first file in the slave-apps dir but still no new Indexes on the Indexers

please help me I'm running out of beer to figure this out

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kgderrekchapin
Path Finder

Hi Gregski11,  

I believe it is giving you the error because it is looking for "indexes.conf"    Try to rename your file as such and then attempt to push the new bundle.

Thank you,

Derrek

View solution in original post

kgderrekchapin
Path Finder

Hi Gregski11,  

I believe it is giving you the error because it is looking for "indexes.conf"    Try to rename your file as such and then attempt to push the new bundle.

Thank you,

Derrek

Gregski11
Contributor

Thank you so much Derrek, those late nights will bite you every time!!!

0 Karma

kgderrekchapin
Path Finder

Glad it was a simple fix this time!  

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...