Deployment Architecture

Networking with splunk- sending logs from personal router to AWS

navarone0161
Explorer

I'm trying to send logs from my personal router to AWS instance with Splunk capability . if there is a way i can do this from the cli needs help

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @navarone0161,

I'm fully agree with @PickleRick, it isn't a good idea to send raw logs on Internet and there are many ways to do this that depend on your architecture.

Have you other data sources that send logs to your AWS Splunk instance?

If yes, you should use an Heavy Forwarder as a concentrator to take the logs from all your syslog data source and concentrate the logs from other Universal Forwarder, then you can send all those logs to your Splunk instance on AWS.

So you can open as less as possible connections between your infrastructure and Interned, in addition in this way you're using an encrypted connection.

If instead you have syslogs form only one appliance, I continue to discourage to send raw logs on internet,  and you should put a local instance of Splunk to receive logs and forward them to your Cloud Instance.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

navarone0161
Explorer

"you should use an Heavy Forwarder as a concentrator to take the logs from all your syslog data source and concentrate the logs from other Universal Forwarder, then you can send all those logs to your Splunk instance on AWS"

Can you help me with the steps please using a new gen spectrum router

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @navarone0161,

I don't know this kind of router, but anyway the first thing you need is a machine that works as an Heavy Forwarder, the the steps are the following:

• on the HF, enable Forwarding to the address of the Indexers on AWS [Settings -- Forwarding and Receiving -- Forwarding],
  • on the HF, enable Network input in [Settings -- Input -- Network Input]
  • on the HF, add the requested information (protocol, port and eventually source IP]
  • on the router enable syslog sending using the IP address of the HF and protocol and port that you configured in the HF.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

navarone0161
Explorer

0 Karma

navarone0161
Explorer

im using 8.2.6

0 Karma

navarone0161
Explorer

Thanks your awesome

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @navarone0161,

good for you, see next time!

Please accept one answer for the other people of Community

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To receive syslogs a Universal Forwarder would suffice. But we don't even know if the "personal router" the OP mentioned does syslog. We assumed it does so because most network appliances do.

0 Karma

navarone0161
Explorer

Can you please provide me with steps how to do this from a new spectrum router

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There are several possibilities from which most extreme and most discouraged is to send raw syslog over internet.

Depends on the source and your overall architecture.

0 Karma

navarone0161
Explorer

its a one time class assignment i really need help

0 Karma

yeasuh
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello navarone0161, Thank you for participating in the Splunk Community.

It could help our volunteer users to guide you if you provided more details on your assignment and where you are getting stuck.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...