Deployment Architecture

Need Help Configuring my Indexes.conf to enforce 45 day retention.

lyndac
Contributor

Using Splunk Enterprise 6.4.1 on linux. Hot/warm/cold are all on the same partition. All data should be deleted after 45 days, but searchable for the entire 45 days. Is there a formula of some sort that I can apply to figure out the proper setting for each of my 3 indexes? The data is stored in 3 separate indexes to facilitate access control via splunk roles. The average event size is 1615 bytes.

Index 1 receives an average of 1.2 million events per day (1,200,000 * 1615 = 1848M/day)
Index 2 receives an average of 10-20 events per day. (10 * 1615 = .0154M/day)
Index 3 receives an average of 28,000 events per day (28,000 * 1615 = 44M/day)

I've got this to start, but I'm not sure how to get the warm buckets to roll to cold. It's my understanding that the frozenTimePeriodInSecs does not trigger unless the buckets are in cold state.

#receives  ~1.2 million events per day
[index1]
maxHotBuckets=10
maxDataSize=auto
frozenTimePeriodInSecs=3888000

# receives ~ 10-20 events per day
[index2]
maxHotBuckets=10
maxDataSize=auto
maxHotIdleSecs=86400

#Receives ~28K events per day
[index3]
maxHotBuckets=10
maxDataSize=auto

I've read the Wiki for Bucket Rotation and Wiki for Understanding Buckets and I'm still not clear. Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

0 Karma
1 Solution

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

So, you are asking for the following, right?
-- All data should be deleted after 45 days, but searchable for the entire 45 days.

"Just" this should do it -

We had a cheerful related conversation recently at Is there a global setting for rolling of warm to cold and cold to frozen in an indexer cluster?

View solution in original post

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

So, you are asking for the following, right?
-- All data should be deleted after 45 days, but searchable for the entire 45 days.

"Just" this should do it -

We had a cheerful related conversation recently at Is there a global setting for rolling of warm to cold and cold to frozen in an indexer cluster?

lyndac
Contributor

I feel like I need to do more than set the frozenTimePeriodInSecs, especially for the lower volume indexes. For instance, index 3 gets an average of 43M per day. So if I keep index3 set to maxDataSize=auto (750MB) it will take approximately 17 days to fill a bucket. So if one bucket rolls to warm after 17 days, then it will be another 45 days later that it is frozen. At that point, some of the data will be 62 days old, right?

So, if I change maxDataSize=43 that would put approximately 1 days worth of data in each bucket. right? Then I'd need to set the maxWarmDBCount=40 so that the older buckets would make it to cold state before the 45 day limit. At this point the frozenTimePeriodInSeconds will kick in.

Does that sound reasonable?
[index3]
maxHotBuckets=10
maxDataSize=43
maxWarmDBCount=40

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Right, I also asked myself a similar question ; -) However, I believe that frozenTimePeriodInSecs is completely independent of any other settings.

Actually in the Admin class, I'm taking this week, they made a big point about it as you can see below (all the way at the bottom) -

alt text

0 Karma

lyndac
Contributor

can't see the text you added 😞

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

I think the picture was removed ... as it's an admin class material. But it showed that the frozenTimePeriodInSecs count starts from the beginning.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...