Deployment Architecture

Migrating Deployment Servers - How Do Existing Apps Behave?

stevepraz
Path Finder

Looking to migrate some forwarders from one deployment server to another. I'm a little curious about how the existing apps deployed to the forwarder will behave.

Does the new deployment server need to have apps with the same name defined so that the existing apps aren't removed? Will apps that have the same name as apps that are already on that forwarder cause a conflict?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The new deployment server must have apps with the same name AND WITH THE SAME CHECKSUM (e.g. the exact same content), as the old deployment server, otherwise the old apps will be deleted and the new ones will be sent to replace them.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

The simplicity of the deployment server is lovely.

The documentation explains nicely that it all comes down to serverclass.conf and the deployment app - Deploy apps to clients
As long as each deployment server is responsible for a distinct set of apps and forwarders you are just fine.

0 Karma

stevepraz
Path Finder

Ok. I'm a little confused now. Initial answer above said if I move a forwarder from one deployment server to another that both need to have the apps named the same for it to work. Your answer indicates a distinct set of apps is required.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Deployed apps are in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/deployment-apps.
The new deployment server must have apps with the same name then the old one, otherwise the old apps will be deleted and the new ones will be installed.
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...