Deployment Architecture

Linux log formatting

rriley

Can't seem to get Splunk to interpret the RHEL syslog data.
I have tried several different formats:
syslog
linux_syslog_messages
Still only get this:

--splunk-cooked-mode-v3--\x00/x00... forever

Any ideas on this?

I am formatting the forwarding server the same as the indexer.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Your forwarder is sending Splunk cooked data to the indexer, but the port you've configured to the indexer is a regular raw TCP input, not an input for receiving cooked data. You need to remove the TCP input (Manager » Data inputs » TCP) and instead configure a Splunk receiver (Manager » Forwarding and receiving » Receive data) on the same port.

0 Karma

rriley

forwarder inputs.conf

host=myhost
[monitor:///var/log/messages]
followTail=0
disabled=false
sourcetype=syslog

forwarder outputs.conf

[tcpout]
defaultGroup=myhost_9997
server=myhost
[tcpout:myhost_9997]
autoLB=true
server=myhost:9997

for some reason there is nothing but the server name in the /local/inputs.conf file (odd). I am printing what i see in the manager gui. I have re-statted splunk...

indexer

inputs tcp 9997
Source - accept connections from all hosts yes
no source name override
sourcetype manual syslog

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Give us details on the setup. From what you pasted it sounds like you've setup a TCP listener on the indexer but you're forwarding splunktcp data from a Splunk forwarder.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...