Deployment Architecture

Is there a need to upgrade forwarder as well during Splunk version upgradation process?

sanjubaba
Path Finder

Is there a need to upgrade forwarder as well during Splunk version upgradation process?

0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's not mandatory but recommended especially in case of security vulnerabilities.

However, you should make sure that the forwarders are compatible with indexers

Reference : https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/VersionCompatibility/current/Matrix/Compatibilitybetweenforwar...

Additional documentation for update scenarios and instructions : https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Forwarder/8.0.5/Forwarder/Upgradethenixuniversalforwarder

Happy Splunking!

sanjubaba
Path Finder

@renjith_nair thanks for the information.

How can I check which forwarder version is installed on my linux machine?

Can you help me with the command?

0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

you can use the splunk binary from the machine

./splunk --version

OR

use SPL to search for all machines

index=_internal source=*metrics.log group=tcpin_connections 
| rename connectionType as connectType
| eval connectType=case(fwdType=="uf","univ fwder", fwdType=="lwf", "lightwt fwder",fwdType=="full", "heavy fwder", connectType=="cooked" or connectType=="cookedSSL","Splunk fwder", connectType=="raw" or connectType=="rawSSL","legacy fwder")
|stats first(version) as version,first(connectType) as connectType by hostname

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Customer Experience | Join the Customer Advisory Board!

Are you ready to take your Splunk journey to the next level? 🚀 We invite you to join our elite squad ...

Observability Cloud | AWS PrivateLink Enabled for Splunk Observability Cloud

We’ve enabled AWS PrivateLink for Observability Cloud, giving you an additional inbound connection to send ...

Index This | A sphere has three, a circle has two, and a point has zero. What is it?

September 2023 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...