Deployment Architecture

Is there a limit to the number of sessions that can be logged in at the same time with one account?

kizukuri
Explorer

 Hi Splunker !

kizukuri_0-1647346484308.png

I want many guests to log in with a common guest account to view Splunk Enterprise (Dashboard Studio).

Q1: Is there a limit to the number of sessions that can be logged in at the same time with one account?

Q2: If there is a limit, what is the maximum?

Q3: Where to set it?

* Do not  have to consider the NW limitation such as load balancer.   Just want to know the limit number on the Splunk side.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Stefanie
Builder

As far as I know, there isn't a limit to the number of sessions that can be logged in at the same time BUT there is a limit to how many searches a user can run at the same time.

Will your users be running searches? If so, you would need to increase the user search job limit. 

In the GUI you can increase it by clicking on Settings -> Roles -> (Select the role of the shared Splunk account) -> Edit -> Resources tab -> and increase the standard search limit.

View solution in original post

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No, I don't think there is any documented limit for the number of sessions, as of today.

(Unless you encounter any resources related limits)

kizukuri
Explorer

@VatsalJagani 
Thank you for your reply 
It seems that there is no document, as you said..

Actually there are some factors such as NW and HW resources, so I'm not sure if I'll reach the login session limit, but I want it to be a dashboard that everyone wants to access.

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I've seen people sharing the Splunk dashboard publically like that so it should work.

Stefanie
Builder

As far as I know, there isn't a limit to the number of sessions that can be logged in at the same time BUT there is a limit to how many searches a user can run at the same time.

Will your users be running searches? If so, you would need to increase the user search job limit. 

In the GUI you can increase it by clicking on Settings -> Roles -> (Select the role of the shared Splunk account) -> Edit -> Resources tab -> and increase the standard search limit.

kizukuri
Explorer

@Stefanie 

Thank you for your response!
And thank you for kindly telling me about Job limit!

For the 1st phase, I'm trying to start with the assumption that it will not take  big/many queries, such as browsing in the dashboard studio to show it to the guest.

0 Karma

Stefanie
Builder

I don't think that should be too much of an issue as long as they are searches that finish fairly quickly. Your picture shows 6 people using the same login. Will it only be 6 people?

How many searches do your dashboards have? 

I think a temporary increase in the searches should be fine. If possible, I'd also make sure the Search Head has enough CPU to handle multiple searches requested at almost the same time. 

kizukuri
Explorer

@Stefanie 

Thank you for your response!

Since it is a dashboard that is open to the public on the internal network and can be accessed from guest accounts, I think that future access analysis will reveal exactly how many people will access at the same time. However, since it is the first time, I expect that less than 20 people will log in at the same time.

Depending on the content, there are about 10 to 20 query search displays per content in Dashboard Studio. I'm trying to query only the data extracted for dashboard display (<several GB)

Thank you for mentioning CPU resources. I would like to secure sufficient resources while testing (in-house IaaS)

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...