Deployment Architecture

Is it safe to delete all rb* frozen buckets created in an indexer cluster without losing data?

myandow
Path Finder

We have a number of indexes that have a coldToFrozenDir specified with both maxTotalDataSizeMB and frozenTimePeriodInSecs in our indexer cluster.

As expected based on this document: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.2/Indexer/Automatearchiving#Clustered_data_archiving
we are seeing multiple copies of buckets being frozen across our indexers, one that starts with db_ and the others start with rb_.

Per the following answers:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/258816/thawing-data-in-an-indexer-clustering-environment.html
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/153341/thawed-buckets-error-clusterslavebuckethandler-failed-to-t...
it sounds like we can thaw our data outside the cluster on a stand alone indexer using only the db_ buckets.

If that is the case, is it safe for us to just delete all the rb_ frozen buckets? Will we face any data loss by only using the db_ buckets to thaw frozen data from the cluster?

0 Karma
1 Solution

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, it is safe to delete the rb_ frozen buckets.

In fact I adjust my coldToFrozenScript to simply discard them.

Just note that if for some reason you have a search factor of 1, and the db_ copy of the bucket is corrupted somehow, then you'll have data loss. In most cases search factor is greater than 1 and therefore you'll have 2 copies of the same data in db_ files. So if one becomes corrupted, you should have another searchable copy backed up.

View solution in original post

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, it is safe to delete the rb_ frozen buckets.

In fact I adjust my coldToFrozenScript to simply discard them.

Just note that if for some reason you have a search factor of 1, and the db_ copy of the bucket is corrupted somehow, then you'll have data loss. In most cases search factor is greater than 1 and therefore you'll have 2 copies of the same data in db_ files. So if one becomes corrupted, you should have another searchable copy backed up.

kiran331
Builder

Hi Jkat54,

Can you advise me what changes to make in the script to exclude rb_* buckets from archiving.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
#this script is meant to be placed in $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/, should be marked as executable by the splunk user, and needs to be specified in indexes.conf
#you must modify ARCHIVE_DIR variable below

import sys, os, gzip, shutil, subprocess, random
# if this is executed using the splunk python environment, then SPLUNK_HOME will exist.  The below would join the value of SPLUNK_HOME with '/frozenData' creating a final path of $SPLUNK_HOME/frozenData/{frozen buckets} 
ARCHIVE_DIR = os.path.join(os.getenv('SPLUNK_HOME'), 'frozenData')  

#Another option is to specify a location with os.path.join and quotes around each directory name such as is shown below:
#ARCHIVE_DIR = os.path.join('opt',frozenData') 
#The above would put frozen buckets here: /opt/frozenData

def archiveBucket(base, files):
    print 'Archiving bucket: ' + base
    for f in files:
        full = os.path.join(base, f)
        if os.path.isfile(full):
            os.remove(full)

if __name__ == "__main__":
    if len(sys.argv) != 2:
        sys.exit('usage: python cold2frozen.py <bucket_path>')

if not os.path.isdir(ARCHIVE_DIR):
        try:
            os.mkdir(ARCHIVE_DIR)
        except OSError:
            sys.stderr.write("mkdir warning: Directory '" + ARCHIVE_DIR + "' already exists\n")

bucket = sys.argv[1]
    if not os.path.isdir(bucket):
        sys.exit('Given bucket is not a valid directory: ' + bucket)

rawdatadir = os.path.join(bucket, 'rawdata')
    if not os.path.isdir(rawdatadir):
        sys.exit('No rawdata directory, given bucket is likely invalid: ' + bucket)

files = os.listdir(bucket)
    journal = os.path.join(rawdatadir, 'journal.gz')
    if os.path.isfile(journal):
        archiveBucket(bucket, files)
    else:
        sys.exit('No journal file found, bucket invalid:' + bucket)

if bucket.endswith('/'):
        bucket = bucket[:-1]

if "rb_" in bucket:
        #replicated bucket, so quit / do nothing. this means replicated buckets will not be frozen with this script... remove this if condition or expand upon it as needed.
        quit()

indexname = os.path.basename(os.path.dirname(os.path.dirname(bucket)))
    destdir = os.path.join(ARCHIVE_DIR, indexname, os.path.basename(bucket))

while os.path.isdir(destdir):
        print 'Warning: This bucket already exists in the archive directory'
        print 'Adding a random extension to this directory...'
        destdir += '.' + str(random.randrange(10))

shutil.copytree(bucket, destdir)
0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

On windows you may need to use os.sep in the path variables:

Ex:

ARCHIVE_DIR = os.path.join("c:",os.sep,"splunk","frozenPath")

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...