Deployment Architecture

Is it possible to do a "dry-run" of a serverclass configuration to see how it will actually deploy?

reedmohn
Communicator

Is it possible to do a "dry-run" of a serverclass config, to see how it will actually deploy?
Ie. which clients would be in which classes, and which apps would they receive?

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Something like this is not readily available. You can create a blank app (only with app.conf file or any insignificant configuration entry) for each of the app you want to deploy through serverclass and they can use Forwarder Management dashboard to see what apps will go to what clients. Little bit of additional work but should do the trick. Once validated, you can copy the actual app back.

0 Karma

Masa
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Do you think Forwarder Management view will help ?
(ref: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.0/Updating/Forwardermanagementoverview)

reedmohn
Communicator

Yes, in cases where you can populate the DEV env with the same combination of different forwarders (not necessarily the same number), that's an option. For some of our more streamlined operations, that would be OK. But in this case we're talking about a rather heterogenerous environment that's hard to replicate.
The simulator approach mikaelbje alludes to would be our best bet, I think.

0 Karma

Masa
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

As you can see in this discussion, there is no feature in Splunk fits in what you are looking for. I knew it 🙂
I simply pointed out available feature which may or may not help. And, it is glad to see this further discussion for the question.
Yes, I agree with @mikaelbje, dev. environment with closest settings to prod. is a general approach if we cannot do in prod env.

If you're looking for this feature in Splunk, please file an enhancement request with use cases.

0 Karma

reedmohn
Communicator

Thanks, but unfortunately not.

It helps with some things. For instance, we deploy empty server classes (no apps), and then we can see which forwarders match which classes.

But in our specific case, we need to replace a "blacklist" default config with a "whitelist" default config. This means completely replacing the serverclass file. And that's not possible like that.

0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

How about a DEV environment? Use dev then push to production...

0 Karma

mikaelbje
Motivator

Set up a dev env with the same amount of forwarders? I believe the OPs question is how to test the matching/non-matching of server classes, particularly in combination with continueMatching, not whether an app works or not. That scenario is well suited for a test env, but the one where you need to test the behaviour of Deployment Server as a whole is not suited for a test env.

If only we could simulate N amount of forwarders with specific names/DNS entries/IP addresses/ClientNames...

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...