Deployment Architecture

Is it best practice to migrate eventtypes to the Search app with or without the search head cluster deployer?

pattokt
Explorer

Is it best practice to copy the /search/local directory to the new search head cluster members and not use the deployer? I used a deployer to set up LDAP, but per documentation, it says not to do the same for the search application.

Per Documentation:

The types of updates that the deployer handles
These are the specific types of updates that require the deployer:

• New or upgraded apps.
  • Configuration files that you edit directly.
  • All non-search-related updates, even those that can be configured through the CLI or Splunk Web, such as updates to indexes.conf or inputs.conf.
  • Settings that need to be migrated from a search head pool or a standalone search head. These can be app or user settings.
0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

Do not use the Deployer to update the apps that come with Splunk: search, launcher, etc. Here is an answer that should help, along with a link to the documentation

Migrate from a standalone searchheads

Migrating separate environments to SHC

I guess that you could do this manually, without the deployer, but it would be hard and error-prone. IMO, the method described in the doc/answer will work better.

View solution in original post

lguinn2
Legend

Do not use the Deployer to update the apps that come with Splunk: search, launcher, etc. Here is an answer that should help, along with a link to the documentation

Migrate from a standalone searchheads

Migrating separate environments to SHC

I guess that you could do this manually, without the deployer, but it would be hard and error-prone. IMO, the method described in the doc/answer will work better.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...