Deployment Architecture

Is anyone using CI/CD to deploy Splunk apps?

mugurelmargarit
Explorer

Hello,

We are trying to achieve one-click deployments with Splunk applications. Our desired workflow is below:

1) we develop the app and push the changes to the develop branch
2) we have a pipeline listening for any changes on the branch and when changes are pushed, deployment is triggered on a WIP environment
3) we pack the Splunk applications for the search head and deployment server in tar.gz archives which are extracted on the search head/deployment server (in etc/apps on the search head and etc/deployment-apps on the deployment server) and rsynced using the --delete flag so that if an app has been removed from git, it will also be removed from the search head/deployment server apps - this process is being executed by Chef
4) we manually reload the deployment server or, in the case of adding a new index, we manually apply the cluster bundle

We are facing the following difficulties:

• we plan on testing the applications before pushing them to live and that entitles using live data - since we're using AWS I've created a snapshot of the live Splunk server, mounted the snapshot on the WIP environment, put the cluster in maintenance mode and symlinked /opt/splunk/var/lib from the snapshot and started the indexers and disabled maintenance mode. This worked just fine however, if there is new data in Splunk, we need to repeat the process. Q: What is the best way of replicating live data on the WIP environment?
  • when we deploy applications, we don't want the WIP apps to interact w/ the live environment at all. This means that if we develop an app and we create an outputs.conf or anything referring to the WIP infrastructure, we will use something like wip-domain.com. This defeats our purpose as if we develop an application we will need to maintain an additional Git repo for live so that we reference live-domain.com. Q: How do we overcome the environment naming convention issue so that we only maintain one repository?
  • how can we run tests on our apps? is there a framework that can be used?
  • we have some apps on the search head that are pretty static and those are maintained through Chef - our developers don't have access to the Chef repo so if they make a change to an existing app, they need to rely on a sysadmin. Q: Is there any reason why we shouldn't deploy applications on the search head using serverclass.conf?

There are just some of the challenges we've faced so far. Is anyone using CI/CD (Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment) to deploy Splunk applications? We are using GoCD if this helps.

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

vliggio
Communicator

imgarytan
Path Finder

Hi Vince

How is Appetite going so far? seems like not many activities going on in recent 2 years.

Any updates, latest status?

Thanks
Gary

goodsellt
Contributor

For your DEV/QA environment, you should try using data cloning at the forwarder level over to those indexers instead of snapshot copying. Then just set the data retention in the DEV/QA environment to a much smaller level. You should be able to have the same apps on the search head and indexer as normal but they would be separate from your prod environment (much more cost effective if you're not using a cluster / multisite cluster as DEV/QA as well).

You can deploy apps on the search head using the deployment server (I use the DS to deploy tech addons and additional configurations to the search heads, however be careful of deploying apps to a prod environment where you allow users to edit dashboards, reports, and saved searches with global permissions, as the deployment server likes to keep the apps' synced).

0 Karma

vliggio
Communicator

http://conf.splunk.com/sessions/2016-sessions.html#search=open-sourced&

Will be out soon! I'll update this when it's released.

vliggio
Communicator

Appetite has finally been released to open source! https://github.com/Bridgewater/appetite

laurie_gellatly
Communicator

Hi Vince,
Any chance we can get a 'beta' copy to look at ? Keen to get things moving 🙂

...Laurie:{)
0 Karma

vliggio
Communicator

Release is days away!

laurie_gellatly
Communicator

Excellent. Thanks

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Any updates yet or approximate dates? Looking forward to the release...

0 Karma

ppeterson
Path Finder

Can't wait, looking forward to it!

0 Karma

warwicks
Explorer

Glad to hear that this is still in the pipeline.
Was looking good in Orlando.
Thanks Vince, the hard work is appreciated.

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The name referred to is:
Unified Open-Sourced Splunk Configuration Management System
Recording Slides
I've also been eagerly awaiting it's release! Thanks for the update.

vliggio
Communicator

Right, thanks! The search doesn't seem to carry over even though it's in the URL.

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes I noticed ! Not sure why, I've put links into my post to assist with the recording/slides as well 🙂

0 Karma

mugurelmargarit
Explorer

Very interested in this, looking forward to its release!

0 Karma

ppeterson
Path Finder

Great news, I've been on the lookout for this since I saw the recording! Thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...