Deployment Architecture

Indexer cluster + Search Head Cluster question

perfecto25
Path Finder

Hello, I setup 1 Indexer Cluster (3 indexers + 1 Master) and 1 SH cluster (3 search heads + 1 non-clustered Deployer

I am using this Ansible playbook to do all this, and I got it to work pretty well,

https://github.com/perfecto25/splunk_spaceballs

When I log into the Master server, and I goto Settings > Index Clustering, I can see all 3 of my indexers listed as Indexing peers,
alt text

for some reason my Master is listed as one of the search heads,
alt text

My Master's server.conf lists it as a Cluster Master,

[general]
serverName = mrxsplunkmas
pass4SymmKey = $1$Ss/uc3zMcGHp

[sslConfig]
sslPassword = $1$HYO6LzmKOzPp

[lmpool:auto_generated_pool_download-trial]
description = auto_generated_pool_download-trial
quota = MAX
slaves = *
stack_id = download-trial

[lmpool:auto_generated_pool_forwarder]
description = auto_generated_pool_forwarder
quota = MAX
slaves = *
stack_id = forwarder

[lmpool:auto_generated_pool_free]
description = auto_generated_pool_free
quota = MAX
slaves = *
stack_id = free

[clustering]
cluster_label = idxcluster
**mode = master**
pass4SymmKey = $1$etfufn7+dGrGtM8iFFpb

Is this an expected outcome? Does Master become a default search head for its own indexer cluster?

Thanks.

0 Karma

nikita_p
Contributor

Hi @perfecto25,
Yes this is expected outcome.
But if you login to your deployment server and go to setting ->monitoring console, there you can see overview of your cluster.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is expected behavior. As per this documentation

The list includes the master node as one of the search heads. Although the master has search head capabilities, you should only use those capabilities for debugging purposes. The resources of the master must be dedicated to fulfilling its critical role of coordinating cluster activities. Under no circumstances should the master be employed as a production search head. Also, unlike a dedicated search head, the search head on the master cannot be configured for multi-cluster search; it can only search its own cluster.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...

Webinar | How to Use Logs from Splunk Platform in Splunk Observability

How to Use Logs from Splunk Platform in Splunk Observability   Logs play a critical role in identifying why ...

Gotta See it to Believe it: 5 Ways to Learn Splunk & Supercharge Your Career Growth

Whether you're a seasoned pro or just dipping your toes into the data-driven universe, there's something for ...