Deployment Architecture

Indexer Clustering and Index Replication: How many indexes can Splunk handle?

Anthony_Hou
Path Finder

Hi All,

Splunk indexer cluster index replication: how many indexes can Splunk handle?
We have 300 indexes.
Is there any limitation about index replication?

tks~:)

0 Karma
1 Solution

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There's no hard limit really. But it is a big dependent on the total amount of data you are indexing and your disks along with the efficiency of your indexing strategy, including autoLB, rep and search factor. I've encountered TB+ a day customers with over 1000 indexes.

If you are actively indexing data to every single index, then Splunk may have a hard time keeping up with all of the sourcetyping parsing. CPU time is another possible bottleneck, so monitoring of cpu time is also recommended. Offloading parsing to an aggregation tier is also recommended..

Here is a good starting point : http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.2/Capacity/DimensionsofaSplunkEnterprisedeployment

View solution in original post

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There's no hard limit really. But it is a big dependent on the total amount of data you are indexing and your disks along with the efficiency of your indexing strategy, including autoLB, rep and search factor. I've encountered TB+ a day customers with over 1000 indexes.

If you are actively indexing data to every single index, then Splunk may have a hard time keeping up with all of the sourcetyping parsing. CPU time is another possible bottleneck, so monitoring of cpu time is also recommended. Offloading parsing to an aggregation tier is also recommended..

Here is a good starting point : http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.2/Capacity/DimensionsofaSplunkEnterprisedeployment

Anthony_Hou
Path Finder

tks for your answer, it helps a lot.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...