Deployment Architecture

Is sc4s log collector free as open-source rsyslog or it's counting as Splunk Enterprise license usage?

splunkreal
Motivator

Hello,

does getting all initial data from fw, network appliances, servers... in sc4s log collector is free as open-source rsyslog or it's counting as Splunk Enterprise license usage?

Can we use it to also forward data to Elastic/Logstash (ELK) ?

Thanks!

* If this helps, please upvote or accept solution 🙂 *
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

SC4S is free to use just like a Splunk forwarder.  You cannot use it to forward to ELK since it uses HEC under the covers.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

splunkreal
Motivator

Hello Rich,

supports says "SC4S is free to use but if you store incoming data like rsyslog (log collector function) it will consume license."

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

They pretty much confirmed what I said.  SC4S itself has no cost.  The storage of data is the same regardless of how it gets to Splunk.

---
0 Karma

moliminous
Path Finder

I would add that it's likely license usage would be greater for syslog ingested as HEC (being json) vs ingested as old school text log files.

In that sense, SC4S would likely cause greater license usage than syslog, though you would save local disk capacity from having to store files until ingested. Just compare a text log file to it's json equivalent.

0 Karma

splunkreal
Motivator

So I understand sc4s does not store incoming data on disk but directly forwards data to indexers so it consumes license?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

SC4S may cache data temporarily if it can't reach any indexers.  Splunk does not charge for that.

Any data sent by SC4S to your indexers that is written to an index will consume ingestion license.

In both respects, SC4S is no different from a Universal Forwarder.

---

splunkreal
Motivator

So sc4s is just a filter, we can't use it as log collector to store data for several months if I understood?

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

@splunkreal wrote:

So sc4s is just a filter, we can't use it as log collector to store data for several months if I understood?

That is correct. SC4S is a transient combined syslog receiver and Splunk forwarder. It is not a useful tool without a platform (Splunk) to send the data to.
The big advantage with SC4S is the "rule soup" which helps classify and route data into appropriate sourcetypes and indexes without needing any further configuration

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunkreal,

the meaning is: if you index logs from SC4S you consume license, if you use it to directly send data to another platform without indexing them on Splunk it's free.

Also because it's composed by a syslog-ng server and a Splunk Universal Forwarder.

But the question should be: why should you use it outside Splunk?

you could use the rsyslog server to write syslogs on disk and then the mechanism in the other platform (as Universal Forwarder in Splunk) to send data to it!

Ciao.

Giuseppe

splunkreal
Motivator

@gcusello BTW would you recommend using UF to forward  high volume of data from rsyslog to Splunk indexers?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunkreal,

I usually use this approach in my projects: rsyslog and UF.

Also because some of my colleagues, more expert than me about Linux hinted to prefer rsyslog than syslog-ng.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

splunkreal
Motivator

We also need to store data on disk and not directly forward...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...