Deployment Architecture

I'm seeing an error related to HTTPStreamPerf - read failed. What does this mean?

the_wolverine
Champion

I'm seeing the following errors in Splunk in my distributed search environment. What do they mean and how can I fix this?

WARN  NetUtils - Bad select_for_loop rv = -2
ERROR HTTPStreamPerf - read failed. error=-2
DispatchCommand - Read 0 results from result provider peername=hostname.domain.com at uri=https://ip_addr:8089 timetaken=30.00
0 Karma
1 Solution

the_wolverine
Champion

Most likely you're hitting a timeout on the searchhead. The "timetaken=30.00" is a clue. The default receiveTimeout value is 30 (seconds) so increasing this value may resolve the situation. The value can be changed in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/distsearch.conf:

[distributedSearch]
receiveTimeout = 120

In Splunk version 4.1.4, we will display a banner error in UI indicating that the receiveTimeout was reached.

View solution in original post

the_wolverine
Champion

Most likely you're hitting a timeout on the searchhead. The "timetaken=30.00" is a clue. The default receiveTimeout value is 30 (seconds) so increasing this value may resolve the situation. The value can be changed in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/distsearch.conf:

[distributedSearch]
receiveTimeout = 120

In Splunk version 4.1.4, we will display a banner error in UI indicating that the receiveTimeout was reached.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...