Deployment Architecture

How to use Universal Forwarder to send logs to SIEM using UDP?

rjk123
Explorer

I have a UF set to send logs to both Splunk IDX and SIEM, using the TCPOUT settings in outputs.conf, but this is sending via TCP and we want it to use UDP (due to high log rate). Can it be done?

There is no option for the tpcout stanza to set a protocol. So it is TCP only.

I found there is a syslog-out stanza for the outputs.conf file, which can use UDP or TCP, but that one also says it can't be used on UFs.

Am I stuck with TCP, or is there another way?

Thanks for any responses, Rod.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rjk123,

for my knowledge it isn't possible to use UDP protocol instead TCP to send logs using a Forwarder, the forwardring mechanism is fulli managed by Splunk and only uses the TCP protocol.

But if the problem is the rate for network bandwidth, on the Forwarder, you can define the max throughput (default 256 kb/s) setting the maxKBps.

But beware because in this way you could have some queues if the data grow.

for more infos see at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.3/Admin/limitsconf

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rjk123,

for my knowledge it isn't possible to use UDP protocol instead TCP to send logs using a Forwarder, the forwardring mechanism is fulli managed by Splunk and only uses the TCP protocol.

But if the problem is the rate for network bandwidth, on the Forwarder, you can define the max throughput (default 256 kb/s) setting the maxKBps.

But beware because in this way you could have some queues if the data grow.

for more infos see at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.3/Admin/limitsconf

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...