Deployment Architecture

How to setup search head clustering?

damonmanni
Path Finder

I've done all the steps (several times) in the docs to setup a SH cludster from scratch configureing deployer; initialize each SH member, and then set a captain. But each time I run the cmd to set the captain (splunk bootstrap shcluster-captain ....) the cmd will just hang forever, timeout, or throw the error "In handler 'shclustermemberconsensus': CONFIGURATION ID MISMATCH". But then if I run the cmd (splunk show shcluster-status ) it does show a captain set and members. In other words it does provide a result which looks correct to me. How can there be a captain set?

My question is "how do I really know if the captain has been set since I never got the bootstrap cmd to get a good result?

I tried many approaches to get the cmd to run but no luck on any of my attempts:

• Changed the pass4symkey on BOTH the [general] & [shclustering] stanzas so they match across the deployer, and the 2 SH members + restarts each time.

• I also tried the same text string and 2 different text strings with no special characters between the two stanzas. bootstrap cmd still fails..

• I did notice that the hashed result string on the 2 SH members always match, but the hash on the deployer does not match the other 2 members (even though I started off with the same text string to be encrypted. Don't know if this really means anything but to have a different hash value between the deployer & members seems normal.

• I did full tear down's and rebuilds of deployer, and 2 SH members + all the steps again. bootstrap cmd still fails..

• I even hit the individual mgmt_uri's (mgmt_uri = https://mdcsueve.fer.com:8089) in a browser and they all came back with data. bootstrap cmd still fails..

• These are brand new vanilla VM's working fine. I installed fresh splunk copies v6.4.1 with no issues.

• I tried different replication ports also just to make sure they were not being used. Still bad results.

I am out of ideas, but need the SH cluster setup. Any help is appreciated.

DOC used: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.1/DistSearch/SHCdeploymentoverview

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The splunk show shcluster-status command has confirmed you have a captain set. Continue from there.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The splunk show shcluster-status command has confirmed you have a captain set. Continue from there.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

damonmanni
Path Finder

Yes, as mentioned I ran this command already. The problem is the bootstrap cmd (the step before the status cmd) never completed as I mentioned, so how can the status cmd show I have a captain. doesn't make sense.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...