Deployment Architecture

How to resolve error "Error pulling configurations from the search head cluster captain"?

mintughosh
Path Finder

I am getting the error "Error pulling configurations from the search head cluster captain; consider performing a destructive configuration resync on this search head cluster member"

I tried to run the following command

# splunk resync shcluster-replicated-config

but i am getting the error "Cannot resync_destructive: this instance is the captain"

I then tried to perform the rolling restart among search head cluster, run the following command

# splunk rolling-restart shcluster-members

But still I am getting the error "Error pulling configurations from the search head cluster captain"
I also ran splunk resync shcluster-replicated-config after rolling-restart.
But still not fix. and I am getting above errors

Please suggest a fix

1 Solution

mintughosh
Path Finder

I am not getting the error now. I followed the below given action -

1. stop the splunk on captain.
  2. deleted the files and directories under splunk/var/run/ after taking backup
  3. started the splunk on the search head.
  4. ran the resync command.

I have performed the above action 1 hour from now. I have not received any error as of now.

View solution in original post

ridwanahmed
Path Finder

Can someone please explain why this is an issue/ why deleting var/run is the best solution?

0 Karma

ridwanahmed
Path Finder
0 Karma

joesrepsolc
Communicator

Jut ran into this issue today after a big maintenance window this past week with lots of changes. This worked GREAT. Thank you everyone for the contributions. Awesome stuff!

0 Karma

bandit
Motivator

Running Splunk 7.1.1

the manual/destructive resync on the cluster member having the error corrected the issue for our cluster.

splunk resync shcluster-replicated-config

ktwingstrom
Path Finder

This worked for me! Thanks!

0 Karma

linhmai_bne
Path Finder

This worked for me. Tks

0 Karma

mintughosh
Path Finder

I am not getting the error now. I followed the below given action -

1. stop the splunk on captain.
  2. deleted the files and directories under splunk/var/run/ after taking backup
  3. started the splunk on the search head.
  4. ran the resync command.

I have performed the above action 1 hour from now. I have not received any error as of now.

mcazacu
Engager

Works on one of the members as well. I had a replication issue with one of the members, did the steps outlined here (on the member, not the captain) and it fixed it! 

Thanks! @mintughosh ! 🙂

0 Karma

dineshraj9
Builder

Try transferring captain to another node and then perform resync.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.3/DistSearch/Transfercaptain#Change_the_captain

If this doesn't work, then restart the captain node and check.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...