Deployment Architecture

How to monitor logs on Linux directory?

pamelaferrari

I installed Splunk on a Windows machine. I have some applications that runs on a Linux server and generates daily logs on a specific Linux directory. I would like to monitor these logs from Splunk. I know there is the Splunk Universal Forwarder but first I would try to create a script on Splunk that runs an ssh (with cat logs file) and keeps the logs from the Linux directories.
Can you please explain me how can achieve this result? Can you give me an example?
Thank you very much
Regards

0 Karma

skalliger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This would require writing your own file watcher (or using someone else's), transfering the files (think about transfering it securely) and also think about the future. You want to keep the footprint of the process on the target system low and maybe want to loadbalance events later to multiple directions.

But if you really don't want to just install the Universal Forwarder (which is recommended), you can always try to do it with a Scripted Input.

I really don't see a reason why you would want to implement such functionality yourself. The UF might not be good at filtering events, but he is good enough in gathering them.

Skalli

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...