Deployment Architecture

How to migrate a search head cluster to standalone search head?

Chiranjeev88
Explorer

Hi,

i have to scale down my search head cluster to a standalone one but there is no documentation anywhere,

is it possible ?,what steps should i perform ?

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is a rare event so it's unlikely to get documented.  Here's how I would do it.

1) Stand up a new SH and connect it to the indexer(s).

2) Copy app from the SHC deployer's shcluster directory to the new SH's apps directory.

3) Remove any [shclustering] stanzas in apps on the new SH.

4) Restart the new SH

5) Shut down and dismantle the SHC.

6) Remove [shclustering] stanzas from the indexer(s).  Restart indexer(s).

7) Update the Monitoring Console

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is a rare event so it's unlikely to get documented.  Here's how I would do it.

1) Stand up a new SH and connect it to the indexer(s).

2) Copy app from the SHC deployer's shcluster directory to the new SH's apps directory.

3) Remove any [shclustering] stanzas in apps on the new SH.

4) Restart the new SH

5) Shut down and dismantle the SHC.

6) Remove [shclustering] stanzas from the indexer(s).  Restart indexer(s).

7) Update the Monitoring Console

---

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

one remark. When you have a SHC which has run some time, then there is a lot of modification which are not in deployer (unless there is strict change management implemented). For that reason I like to use any of SHC nodes as a source instead of deployer. 

Basically you should copy /opt/splunk/etc/{apps,users} from SHC node to the new sh node. Then install same splunk version than you have in SHC to that host. After that you have correct and unmodified default versions on place. 

If you want unique splunk.secret then remove old one before start or replace it with new one as docs instructed.

r. Ismo

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Excellent point about local configs, @isoutamo .  Also, I forgot about user directories.

---
0 Karma

Chiranjeev88
Explorer

Thanks for the detailed steps,could you tell what to do for kv store as well when migrating back from cluster to standalone @richgalloway / @isoutamo 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Backup the KVstore from the KVstore captain (not necessarily the same as SHC captain) and restore on the new SH.  Backup/restore steps are in https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/BackupKVstore

---
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You don’t need all kvstore collections. To copy only those which you are needing, you could use this app https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/5328.

That can used also to do daily based kvstore backups. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...