Deployment Architecture

How to install a Separate Python from Splunk on RHEL 7.9?

randomwaffle
Observer

Hello,

Specs: 

• Splunk Enterprise 8.2.1
  • Server OS: RHEL 7.9

I have a distributed installation of Splunk Enterprise on RHEL 7.9 which comes with its own version of python, Splunk also comes with two more versions of python. I am creating an external lookup that runs a python script which performs an API call and retrieves the values based on the input from the user in the Splunk Search.

My goal is to install an isolated version of Python 3 on the server. To achieve this I need to install Python 3 from source, and in order to compile the source code I need to install "Development Tools" along with other software that will be detailed below.

Main concern: I am not sure if installing this tools might negatively affect the behavior of Splunk or the OS Python. This Splunk instance is located on a critical infrastructure, and there is no margin for error.

For reference below are the steps to be performed.

1. Download Python from source: https://www.python.org/downloads/source/
  2. Create directory for new python installation: opt/ti_scripts/python3.10.4
  3. Install tools for compiling code: sudo yum groupinstall "Development Tools" -y
  4. Additional compiling tools: sudo yum install gcc openssl-devel libffi-devel bzip2-devel -y
  5. Decompress python tar: tar xvf Python-3.10.4.tgz
  6. Go to decompressed directory: cd Python-3.10.4
  7. Specify location for the new python installation: sudo ./configure --enable-optimizations --prefix=/opt/ti_scripts/python3.10.4
  8. Install without altering default python: sudo make altinstall
  9. Create a soft link for the new python: sudo ln -s /opt/ti_scripts/python3.10.4 usr/bin/python3.10.4

Please help me with this situation, thanks.

Labels (4)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...