Deployment Architecture

How to forward Solaris audit logs

Roy

I have installed the Universal Forwarder on my Solaris Global server, but no data is getting to my Indexer.  Looking at the Splunk log file, I can see that the Forwarder is trying to read the current day's log file (the not_terminated one), but it can't because the audit log is not a text file.  Is there a way around this?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

ajohnsen
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk will read any plaintext file with ease - I do this faairly often on my Solaris systems. Have you checked all permissions are sorted and traffic is allowed between instances?

0 Karma

Roy

Thanks for the quick response.  I'm very new to Splunk.    I am forwarding to an Indexer run by a third party, so determining if anything is working is difficult.  The Forwarder is able to access the Solaris audit log file, so based on the Splunk log file I figured the problem is the fact that the Solaris audit log is not text.  I used the praudit utility to output the current audit log to a text file in the same directory as the audit log file, but nothing showed up on the Indexer (no problems with RHEL or Windows).    Ideas?

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

here is instructions how to convert auditd log (at least partially) to syslog and then collect those via syslog or directly from syslog file as text.

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23823_01/html/816-4557/audittask-44.html

When you are already exporting those logs to text files (I propose to export those to another directory and give UF user's to enough access to read those (instead of to real audit directory), you must define a new monitor in inputs.conf to read those files to splunk. 

r. Ismo

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...