Deployment Architecture

How to create License Pooling on Indexes Instead of Indexer?

spl10
Explorer

If I want to create the pooling based upon the Indexes instead of Indexer Is it possible?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

spl10
Explorer

@PickleRick Thank you for the reply... if I understood you correctly below is the possible scenario. 

Suppose I am having an indexer cluster having three indexers and total license of 50GB. Here I want 4 pools to be created.

Pool1 --> Any Indexer that connects = 20 GB

Pool2 --> Specific Indexer (Indexer 1)= A,B,C (Indexes) = 10GB

Pool3--> Specific Indexer (Indexer 2)= X,Y,Z (Indexes)  =  10GB

Pool4--> Specific Indexer (Indexer 3)= P,Q,R (Indexes) =  10GB

So if in case my data is landing to either Index A or B, it will be licensed once under that 10GB Pool Limit only and post that my data will be replicated across all three indexers and searched based upon the defined replication and Search Factor.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No. You have to assign a whole cluster to a single pool. You can't do a "this indexer uses this pool and that one uses another pool" cluster. All cluster members must share the same licensing pool.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No. License pool is associated with specified search peers. The only way to associate it with specific indexes would be to create separate indexers or clusters holding said indexes and simply split your indexes between diffent search peers. That way you would have your license effectively split between indexes while technically split between indexers. That's the only way you could achieve that.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...