Deployment Architecture

How to connect a standalone search head to an indexer cluster?

saifuddin9122
Path Finder

Hello

I have a standalone search head which is not a part of an indexer cluster. In this case, do I need to point the search head to the master node of the cluster, or do I need to point it to the peer nodes? (What I am thinking is I should point it to the master node)

0 Karma
1 Solution

nit123
Path Finder

Does my answer above solve your question ? If yes, spare a moment to accept the answer and vote for it. Thanks.

0 Karma

nit123
Path Finder

Steps to setup a Search Head

You can install one or more search heads to handle your distributed search needs. Search heads are just full Splunk Enterprise instances that have been specially configured.
You can setup search head either from Splunk web interface or using the command line as follows.
Enable search peers in search heads by navigating to Settings -> Distributed Search -> Search peers - > New & add indexer IP Address to talk to. Make sure to have the unique server name for each member of the cluster. User can do it in two ways as below:
1) From Splunk GUI under Settings -> Server settings -> General Settings update the field "Splunk server name".
2) Edit the field "serverName" in the /etc/system/local/server.conf file and then restart the Splunk.

Hope this helps !

0 Karma

twinspop
Influencer

This isn't how you add an SH to an indexer cluster.

0 Karma

gfreitas
Builder

Master Node is the correct because it will coordinate wich indexer the search head will search. If you point the indexers you will see duplicated data.

0 Karma

TStrauch
Communicator

This one is the correct way.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...