Deployment Architecture

How to configure Splunk to collect syslog and forward the raw data to a 3rd party SIEM directly from a clustered indexer?

scorpia

Hello

We have 2 Data Center locations and each location has 3 indexers that collect logs from Universal Forwarders in each location. All indexers from the 2 DC locations are replicated for redundancy and Disaster Recovery purposes.

My questions:
1. Is it possible to forward all raw logs from all indexers to a 3rd party SIEM directly without a Heavy Forwarder?
2. Do I need to change props.conf and transforms.conf for each indexers or at Cluster Master?

We have Splunk 6.2.3

Thanks in advance.

0 Karma
1 Solution

jensonthottian
Contributor

Your questions:
1. Is it possible to forward all raw logs from all indexers to a 3rd party SIEM directly without a Heavy Forwarder? - Yes it is possible .Because they are forwarding to a non-Splunk system, they can send only raw data.

e.g.
outputs.conf

[syslog:webreports_syslog_group]
server = myhostname:514
type = tcp

transforms.conf
[send_to_webreports]
REGEX = .
DEST_KEY = _SYSLOG_ROUTING
FORMAT = webreports_syslog_group

props.conf:

[source::/data/logs/httpd/somesite/access*]
TRANSFORMS-weblog-matrix = send_to_webreports

1. Do I need to change props.conf and transforms.conf for each indexers or at Cluster Master? In each indexer for the sources you want to send.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jensonthottian
Contributor

Your questions:
1. Is it possible to forward all raw logs from all indexers to a 3rd party SIEM directly without a Heavy Forwarder? - Yes it is possible .Because they are forwarding to a non-Splunk system, they can send only raw data.

e.g.
outputs.conf

[syslog:webreports_syslog_group]
server = myhostname:514
type = tcp

transforms.conf
[send_to_webreports]
REGEX = .
FORMAT = webreports_syslog_group

props.conf:

[source::/data/logs/httpd/somesite/access*]
TRANSFORMS-weblog-matrix = send_to_webreports

1. Do I need to change props.conf and transforms.conf for each indexers or at Cluster Master? In each indexer for the sources you want to send.
0 Karma

cleelakrishna
Loves-to-Learn

I'm unable forward specific INDIEX from HF to syslog . please check the configurations which I have used
props.conf
[index::watson]
TRANSFORMS-watson = wat_to_syslog

transforms.conf
[wat_to_syslog]
REGEX = .
FORMAT = wat_syslog_group

outputs.conf

[syslog:wat_syslog_group]
server = splunk-syslog.XXXX.com:514
type=udp

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...