Deployment Architecture

How to add a new data source to inputs.conf?

Ansab
Engager

Architecture: Distributed - Deployment Server pushes changes to forwarders (1 hvyfwd, 2 universal) - Clustered indexers,  there is a cluster master 

I made a change in inputs.conf file stanza to edit IP address and hostname for one of the logsources. I tried to push that change to forwarders through restarting the server class on deployment server gui. However, I am unable to see those logs come in from that IP and source name. 

Is there a step that I am missing?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

Ansab
Engager

Thank you @richgalloway  - These were all the steps I as doing and it still was not letting it push the chang eto forwarders. I had to manually edit inputs.conf files on the forwarders (opt/etc/system/local) to match the change I made on the deployment server and it then started to ingest those logs. Could it be not updating the deployment server to current version?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think I see what's happening.  Deployment Servers cannot update any file in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local.  They can only update files in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/*.

Your inpurs.conf file should be in a app in the DS's $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/deployment-apps directory.  They will be deployed to forwarders from there.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Once the inputs.conf file is modified the forwarder should detect the change the next time it phones home and re-install the app.  The change will not be applied, however, until the next time the forwarder restarts.  To force that to happen, be sure to check the "Restart splunkd" box in the app description on the Deployment Server.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...