Deployment Architecture

How do you create 4000+ index without creating it manually?

ejmin
Path Finder

I have a client that consists of 4000+ branches, and I want to create an index using a file consisting different names of an index.

Is there any way to create an index of 4000+ by just using a file?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

So you are not asking about the deployment mechanism, you are asking about a script to create 4000 stanzas inside the indexes.conf file. That is pretty trivial. Something like this:

for i in {1..4000}
do
   index_name = "index${i}"
   echo "[$index_name]" >> indexes.conf
   echo "homePath   = volume:primary/${index_name}/db" >> indexes.conf
   echo "coldPath   = volume:primary/${index_name}/colddb" >> indexes.conf
   echo "thawedPath = \$SPLUNK_DB/${index_name}/thaweddb" >> indexes.conf
done

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

So you are not asking about the deployment mechanism, you are asking about a script to create 4000 stanzas inside the indexes.conf file. That is pretty trivial. Something like this:

for i in {1..4000}
do
   index_name = "index${i}"
   echo "[$index_name]" >> indexes.conf
   echo "homePath   = volume:primary/${index_name}/db" >> indexes.conf
   echo "coldPath   = volume:primary/${index_name}/colddb" >> indexes.conf
   echo "thawedPath = \$SPLUNK_DB/${index_name}/thaweddb" >> indexes.conf
done

ejmin
Path Finder

yes very much like that. Sorry for the first question because my boss said it to me right now that he wants a script rather than a file and thats what I working on.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

See updated answer.

0 Karma

ejmin
Path Finder

Ok.. Thanks It works but I made some changes in your script by the way Thankyou it helps a lot to me.

0 Karma

sobrien
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi ejmin,

The file to modify is indexes.conf, outlined here:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/admin/indexesconf

If you have a naming convention, you can then script the creation of all the required stanzas.

I would caution you to consider why you want that many indexes though, it will lead to difficulties in management and maintenance.

0 Karma

ejmin
Path Finder

yeahh I know that it will be difficult to manage but for some instances like we are currently in right now is if for certain branch has a problem with the data it will be easy to troubleshoot or delete an index without affecting the whole indexes.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Use a Deployment Server and create an all_index app which has an indexes.conf file containing all 4000+ values. Add this all_index app to a all_indexer serverclass in the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/serverclass.conf file with restartSplunkd=true. Restart Splunk on your Deployment Server to enable this new configuration.

0 Karma

ejmin
Path Finder

hmmm.. I get your idea but it seems it is not applicable for my architecture because I have this one cluster master pushing to the 3 search peers which are clustered. but anyway thank you for your response.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The Cluster Master performs the same function as the DS except that it uses $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/master-apps/. Create this app and then do a cluster bundle push to the slaves.

0 Karma

ejmin
Path Finder

Ok I get it... You mean to say that I need to put all the config files in indexes.conf.. Hmmm that's was my first option but my boss said that he wants me to have create a script rather than created a 4000+ index stanzas in indexes.conf which I am looking for right now... I know that your instruction will work but my boss wants it to create automatically..

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...