Deployment Architecture

How do concurrent searches and other user quotas work in a distributed environment? How do I know if users hit one?

Dan
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'm familiar with some of the system-wide limits and per-user quotas that prevent a Splunk instance from getting oversubscribed. Namely:

from limits.conf.spec:

base_max_searches    = <int>
* a constant to add the maximum number of searches computed as a multiplier of the CPUs
* Defaults to 4

max_searches_per_cpu = <int>
* the maximum number of concurrent historical searches per CPU. The system-wide limit of  historical searches 
* is computed as: max_hist_searches =  max_searches_per_cpu x number_of_cpus + base_max_searches
* Note: the maximum number of real-time searches is computed as: max_rt_searches = max_rt_search_multiplier x max_hist_searches
* Defaults to 4

and from authorize.conf.spec:

srchDiskQuota = <number>
        * Maximum amount of disk space (MB) that can be taken by search jobs of a user 
          that belongs to this role

srchJobsQuota = <number>
        * Maximum number of concurrently running historical searches a member of this role can have (excludes real-time searches, see rtSrchJobsQuota)

rtSrchJobsQuota = <number>
        * Maximum number of concurrently running real-time searches a member of this role can have

My question is, how does this work in a distributed environment? Imagine I have two search heads, and users load-balanced between them. Both search heads distribute to the same farm of 10 indexers, mostly of the same ilk of 8 core boxes but a couple have only 4 cores.
What do I have to consider so that my indexers don't get over-subscribed?
Do local system-wide limits override limits set on the search-heads?

Perhaps more importantly, how can I be proactive in monitoring performance and detecting when a user has hit his quota, or when the system has too many concurrent jobs?
What are the log messages to look for?
Can I prioritize a saved search to run before any of the other searches queued in the system?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

the_wolverine
Champion

The search head bears the cpu burden of running searches. Therefore, the configuration at the instance where the user logs in to perform searches, e.g. search head, determines the quota.

Check splunkd.log on the search head (or, indexer if that's where searches are run) for the following errors:

05-10-2010 14:22:12.980 ERROR SearchScheduler - Maximum concurrent searches usage=6, quota=6, reached.Search not executed. 

At this time, we do not have a way to prioritize searches.

View solution in original post

the_wolverine
Champion

The search head bears the cpu burden of running searches. Therefore, the configuration at the instance where the user logs in to perform searches, e.g. search head, determines the quota.

Check splunkd.log on the search head (or, indexer if that's where searches are run) for the following errors:

05-10-2010 14:22:12.980 ERROR SearchScheduler - Maximum concurrent searches usage=6, quota=6, reached.Search not executed. 

At this time, we do not have a way to prioritize searches.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...