Deployment Architecture

How do I replicate settings in system/local across the search head cluster?

chustar
Path Finder

When using a stand alone search head, we made configuration changes in etc/system/local/e.g. outputs.conf, limits.conf, etc

I've converted this standalone instance to a search head cluster, but I don't want to go into each cluster member and reconfigure these settings.

How would I ensure that I can create the configurations in one place and replicate them to the cluster members?

My current idea is to add these configurations to the deployer e.g. etc/shcluster/apps/custom_configs/limits.conf and then set the app to export its settings using export=system.
This worked when migrating savedsearches and custom apps, but I worry that the same is not true for configurations that are not part of any app.

0 Karma
1 Solution

beatus
Communicator

Chustar,
You're correct that you need to deploy them with the deployer. As you said, a "custom_configs" app is perfect for this.

I do see some folks splitting these custom configs up into a few apps, such as:

• Indexes (for autocomplete). Often there is an indexes app that can be copied from the Indexer Cluster Master Node and re-used. Just remember to adjust the volume configurations or make them present.
  • Outputs app. Often there is an outputs app already configured correctly for Universal Forwarders in the environment on the Deployment Server.
  • A "SHC_settings" app for anything left over. limits.conf, server.conf, alert_actions.conf, etc. Whatever you need to do here that's SHC or SH specific.

There's no requirement to split them out into apps, but if you already have apps that do most of the things you'd like to push to the SHC then it makes sense to reuse them. If you prefer a combined app, that's fine too.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

beatus
Communicator

Chustar,
You're correct that you need to deploy them with the deployer. As you said, a "custom_configs" app is perfect for this.

I do see some folks splitting these custom configs up into a few apps, such as:

• Indexes (for autocomplete). Often there is an indexes app that can be copied from the Indexer Cluster Master Node and re-used. Just remember to adjust the volume configurations or make them present.
  • Outputs app. Often there is an outputs app already configured correctly for Universal Forwarders in the environment on the Deployment Server.
  • A "SHC_settings" app for anything left over. limits.conf, server.conf, alert_actions.conf, etc. Whatever you need to do here that's SHC or SH specific.

There's no requirement to split them out into apps, but if you already have apps that do most of the things you'd like to push to the SHC then it makes sense to reuse them. If you prefer a combined app, that's fine too.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...