Deployment Architecture

How do I make changes to server.conf?

brent_weaver
Builder

I need to make some changes and Splunk proServe tells me that I can use the deployment server to make this change. How is this done outside of the ../etc/systemp/local/ dir? Bundle it in an app? If so what about precedence?

Any guidance is appreciated!

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Any configuration in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/ is GOD and cannot be overridden by anything in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/ (the stuff that is pulled in from the Deployment Server). You have to migrate that stuff out of $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/ first (it never should have been put there).

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Any configuration in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/ is GOD and cannot be overridden by anything in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/ (the stuff that is pulled in from the Deployment Server). You have to migrate that stuff out of $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/ first (it never should have been put there).

0 Karma

brent_weaver
Builder

OK this is exactly what I thought, I appreciate your time!
Thanks everyone.

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

yes you will bundle configurations in an app.
splunk configuration precedence is*:
1. System local directory -- highest priority
2. App local directories
3. App default directories
4. System default directory -- lowest priority

hope it helps

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Interesting thing. For /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/server.conf on the SH, for example, I make the changes on each SH and bounce each one. The deployment server only deploys to the forwarders...

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

the deployment server can deploy to any non-clustered splunk instance
Indexer, Search Head, Heavy Forwarder and more
also, it can not deploy to itself

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...