Deployment Architecture

How do I group events from three rules by the same field value

DEAD_BEEF
Builder

I have a tool that generates three different alerts (alert1, alert 2, alert3). In these alerts, it records the username (parsed out via rex). I am having trouble correlating events when all three alerts contain the same username within a 7 day period. Ideally, I would like to create a dashboard that shows me how many times a username has been observed in alert1, alert2, and alert3 (not in each alert, but in all 3).

Which commands should I be looking at to show me when the username in alert1 = alert2 = alert3 ?

Current search query
index=tool rule=alert* | rex field=Message "(?<USERNAME>(?<=;)[^;]*(?=;))" | unknown_query

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

index=tool rule=alert* | rex field=Message "(?<USERNAME>(?<=;)[^;]*(?=;))" | chart count over USERNAME by rule | where alert1>0 AND alert2>0 AND alert3>0

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

index=tool rule=alert* | rex field=Message "(?<USERNAME>(?<=;)[^;]*(?=;))" | chart count over USERNAME by rule | where alert1>0 AND alert2>0 AND alert3>0

DEAD_BEEF
Builder

I have been pouring over another post that you answered regarding streamstats trying to decipher it all out but this is perfect! Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!!

0 Karma

asimagu
Builder

streamstats dc(rule) as count by USERNAME | where count>2

will give you the events where the user is seen in the 3 alerts, then you could pipe into the stats command if you want to do further computing

0 Karma

DEAD_BEEF
Builder

user3 shows 1 hit, I looked through the logs and only find user3 in alert3 (no hits for alert1 and alert2). I don't think it's working. Can you take a look?

index=tool rule=alert* | rex field=Message "(?(?<=;)[^;]*(?=;))" | streamstats dc(rule) as count by USERNAME | where count>2 | stats count by USERNAME

output:
user1     15
user2     3
user3     1
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...