Deployment Architecture

How do I assign whole numbers to the lower bucket through the bucket function?

andrewtrobec
Motivator

Hello!

I am using the bucket function to split my data into buckets of 2:

bucket field_name span=2

The buckets that it creates are 0-2, 2-4, 4-6, 6-8, and so on where the upper value of a given bucket is the same as the lower value of the next bucket. The default logic for categorizing the value is >= lower value and < upper value. It also means that the value "2" will be put into the "2-4" bucket rather than the "0-2" bucket. What I would like to know is: is there a way to specify that whole numbers in my data that correspond to a bucket limit be sorted into the lower bucket? In effect making the logic > lower value and <= upper value.

Thank you!

Andrew

Tags (1)
0 Karma

bshuler_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I prefer a different approach:

| gentimes start=-1 | eval foo=mvrange(1,50) | table foo | mvexpand foo |  eval actual_value=(random()%10)+(random()%10)/100 | table actual_value | sort - actual_value| eval bucketed_value=(actual_value-(actual_value%1))-1 | bucket bucketed_value
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The most straight-forward way is to lie to the bucket command by adding this right before you call it:

... | eval field_name=if((field_name%2=0), field_name-.1, field_name) 
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

I don't think there is any direct/native method. You can try this workaround. (Run anywhere sample, first line is to generate sample data, replace it with your search)

| gentimes start=-1 | eval file_name=mvrange(1,50) | table file_name | mvexpand file_name | eval orig_file_name=file_name 
| eval file_name=file_name-1 | bucket span=3 file_name 
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...