Deployment Architecture

How can I get the shc status from the deployer

a212830
Champion

Hi,

We have a SHC setup in our private cloud. So, picture servers going in/out/down/up... without the Splunk admin's typically knowing.

We want to push out apps via Jenkins, but in order to do that, the apply command needs to know at least one server that is up and running. I assumed that the deployer would have access to the status of the cluster, but "show shcluster-status" command does not work from there. Is there anyway for the deployer to know the status of the shc? Seems kind of silly to me that there isn't a way to determine the status from the deployer, since in today's world, the status of those servers could change quickly. Thoughts?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

According to the documentation, you can only check status through one of the members. So it appears the automation you would want requires a remote call to the SHC url to check status before executing it's apply.

At the very least, you should be in a good position to have the automation (Jenkins) place the config on the Deployer and then a separate scheduled task for the apply. You may have done this already but figured I'd highlight it.

Sounds like you have a good feature request idea though...Wanna submit it so it shows customer demand?

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can setup DMC on your deployer and can see SHCluster status from there.
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.2/DistSearch/ViewSHCstatusinDMC

A full documentation on DMC is available here: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.2/DMC/DMCoverview

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...