Deployment Architecture

Hotwarm to Cold to Frozen

amankhan1
Path Finder

Hi All,

I have a clustered env, rep factor 3 , search factor 2.

my current index.conf looks like:

#replicate all indexes
[default]
repFactor=auto
frozenTimePeriodInSecs=31536000
# Hot/warm data
[volume:primary]
path = /data/splunk/hotwarm
maxVolumeDataSizeMB = 500000

[volume:cold]
path = /data/splunk/cold
maxVolumeDataSizeMB = 3000000

[applications]
homePath   = volume:primary/applications/db
coldPath   = volume:cold/applications/colddb
thawedPath = $SPLUNK_DB/applications/thaweddb
maxWarmDBCount = 100
#Roll to frozen after 3 months
frozenTimePeriodInSecs = 7776000
##Invokes archiving script once rolled to frozen
coldToFrozenScript = *Path to script that archives data to external storage"

[anotherindex]
homePath   = volume:primary/anotherindex/db
coldPath   = volume:cold/anotherindex/colddb
thawedPath = $SPLUNK_DB/anotherindex/thaweddb
maxWarmDBCount = 100
#Roll to frozen after 3 months
frozenTimePeriodInSecs = 7776000
##Invokes archiving script once rolled to frozen
coldToFrozenScript = *Path to script that archives data to external storage"

I have been tasked to achieve the following.

Hot/Warm:                       retaind data for 15 days ( as opposed to bucket size currently configured) and then roll to cold automatically.
Cold:                                 Retain data till cold volume size reaches 90 % OR after data ages to 2.5 months  (whichever comes first)
Frozen:                             9 months

Is the new requirement achievable? Specially the retention in cold, based on the overall size of the volume not size per index but the overall volume size. and also what is the best way to enforce time based retention in hotwarm so the buckets roll over to Cold after 15 days?

Many thanks.

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

There is no time-constraint configurations on Hot/Warm because it makes no sense for there to be any. This is your fast/expensive disk and you should use all of it and constrain only by size (leaving 5%-10% unallocated for housekeeping). So:

Hot/Warm: Retain for 15 days is not possible and would be silly anyway.
Cold: Retain data till cold volume size reaches 90 % OR after data ages to 2.5 months (whichever comes first) is very doable but you did not tell us how big your volume is so you will have to do your own math. I am of the opinion that frozenTimePeriodInSecs should never be used (unless for compliance reasons and you must) and I never use it. In any case, you know how to do that part. For the sizing, do your math and use the stanza at the bottom.
Frozen: Retain for 9 months is all up to you; you have to code/employ your own housekeeping policy/scripts because once Splunk freezes, that data is dead to it.

path = /data/splunk/cold
maxVolumeDataSizeMB = DoYour90percentMathHere

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

There is no time-constraint configurations on Hot/Warm because it makes no sense for there to be any. This is your fast/expensive disk and you should use all of it and constrain only by size (leaving 5%-10% unallocated for housekeeping). So:

Hot/Warm: Retain for 15 days is not possible and would be silly anyway.
Cold: Retain data till cold volume size reaches 90 % OR after data ages to 2.5 months (whichever comes first) is very doable but you did not tell us how big your volume is so you will have to do your own math. I am of the opinion that frozenTimePeriodInSecs should never be used (unless for compliance reasons and you must) and I never use it. In any case, you know how to do that part. For the sizing, do your math and use the stanza at the bottom.
Frozen: Retain for 9 months is all up to you; you have to code/employ your own housekeeping policy/scripts because once Splunk freezes, that data is dead to it.

path = /data/splunk/cold
maxVolumeDataSizeMB = DoYour90percentMathHere
0 Karma

amankhan1
Path Finder

Hi Woodcock,

Thanks for your reply. Using all of the disk space before rolling to cold has caused us an issue when splunk stopped indexing data when it hit the minimum free disk space threshold defined in server.conf hence we had to opt for MaxWarmDBCount modification. It would solve my problem if I could roll the bucket without splunk stopping the indexing and without changing the threshhold to 0. I guess splunk would behave the same way if it hits 100% of allocated disk space in Cold as well?

Here is my outpout from Index.conf

'# Hot/warm data
[volume:primary]
path = /data/splunk/hotwarm
maxVolumeDataSizeMB = 500000

'# Cold data
path = /data/splunk/cold
maxVolumeDataSizeMB = 3000000

And here is the output from operating system:
Filesystem &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp1K-blocks &nbsp &nbsp Used &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Available &nbsp Use% &nbsp Mounted on
dev/nvme2n1 &nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp &nbsp 515928320 &nbsp 246888244 &nbsp 242809292 &nbsp 51% &nbsp/data/splunk/hotwarm
/splunkColdStorage-cold 3096207552 494324772 2444580612 17% /data/splunk/cold

In case i wanted to i change the maxVoumeDataSizeMB =500000 to maxVolumeDataSizeMB=464335488 (which is 90% of the physical volume Hot/warm) will splunk still stop indexing as the physical volume will still hold 10% free space?

Similiarly I could change the parameter in Cold from maxVolumeDataSizeMB = 3000000 to maxVolumeDataSizeMB = 2700000

Many thanks

0 Karma

amankhan1
Path Finder

(leaving 5%-10% unallocated for housekeeping).

This will actually fix my issue, I just am not sure how to enforce this. Do i change the maxVolumeDataSizeMB parameter to 90% of the volume size?

Thanks.

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Exactly. That is how you do it. Splunk needs room for housekeeping (it cannot delete files instantly and it needs time to figure out if it needs to delete any and which ones) and SO DOES THE OS! I would never use more than 95% of any disk at any time.

amankhan1
Path Finder

Thanks woodcock.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...