Deployment Architecture

HEC and Indexer Clustering

nickmarchini

The setup we have is as follows

Master x 1
Indexers x 3
Search head x 1

I am trying to enable HEC on the indexers through the inputs.conf and outputs.conf setup as described here
I have setup the local dir and added the inputs.conf and outputs.conf and restarted splunk, but there is still nothing listening on port 8088

I did read this in the documentation

Using HTTP Event Collector in a distributed deployment is incompatible with indexer clustering. Specifically, cluster peers are not supported as deployment clients.
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.2/Data/UsetheHTTPEventCollector

Does this mean that I cannot enable HEC even though I am not using the deployment server to push this app out? We are manually editing the .conf files on each indexer.

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HEC on the indexers will work fine but you must push your configuration to the indexers via the cluster master as per the indexer cluster architecture
Indexers / search peers should not talk to a deployment server

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...