Deployment Architecture

First Time Setup with Heavy Forwarder Help - Specific Palo Alto Question

ghostdog920
Path Finder

I am setting up a new splunk environment and running into a few questions i am hoping i can get answers for. My environment consists of three on prem enterprise instances. A single search head, single indexer, and single heavy forwarder. I am setting up the heavy forwarder as some of the splunk apps we want to use require it for "pre parsing". With that in mind, i have the three instances configured and am ready to add my first data input. I want to send my palo alto panorama logs to the heavy forwarder instance.

I tried just setting up the syslog entry to port 514 and then create a syslog data input on the heavy forwarder to listen on that port. But nothing is coming across. In researching i think this is wrong, and what i need to do is:

High level steps
Install and configure a syslog-ng server
Configure logging format for data to be received from the Palo Alto Networks appliance
Configure Palo Alto Networks appliance logging, and output to the syslog-ng server
Configure receiving of data on the Splunk platform indexer cluster
Install a Splunk universal forwarder on the same host as the syslog-ng server
Install the Splunk Add-on for Palo Alto Networks on the Splunk universal forwarder
Install the Splunk Add-on for Palo Alto Networks across the Splunk platform deployment
Configure the universal forwarder to monitor syslog-ng logs, and forward data to the Splunk platform
Validate your data

Can someone confirm this is the correct process? If so i just need to go through and build a fourth linux box to act as the syslog-ng.

0 Karma

laurie_gellatly
Communicator

You checked you have set the input for 514 with udp:514 or tcp:514 so that it matches what the appliance is sending?
Checked the index it's being sent to is correct and already exists?
Setting up a syslog receiver to catch the events is a more robust solution as it does not stop/start with Splunk restarts.

...Laurie:{)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...