Deployment Architecture

Find changes that require a restart of Splunk?

BenjaminWyatt
Communicator

I logged into Splunk today, and got the dreaded "Splunk must be restarted for changes to take effect" message. The thing is, neither I nor anyone on my team made any changes that require a restart. So now I'm combing through the logs, trying to figure out what the change was that Splunk is complaining about, but I'm having trouble determining where to look - I've mainly been looking at _audit events, but I'm not finding anything there. How do you all go about finding these sorts of changes?

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Try looking in the _internal index, and search for "*restart*", or "*required a restart*".

I don't think you will see what you're looking for in _audit.

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

If Splunk did not log an event that would require a restart, then once you find it you should submit a bug report.
If it is not in the splunk log, then I recommend searching the Splunk directory for file system changes that night.
You can also search the system's logs for activity pertaining to "*splunk*" over that timeframe.

0 Karma

BenjaminWyatt
Communicator

I did a search for LocalAppsAdminHandler and didn't see anything.

Yes, that's the message I'm seeing when users see the banner.

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Chances are you are looking for a single message.

Try searching for LocalAppsAdminHandler.
Is the message you're seeing "GET /services/messages/restart_required"?

0 Karma

BenjaminWyatt
Communicator

I looked at that, but it appears the only events I find with "restart" are logs associated with users seeing the "requires a restart" message - not with the event that caused the need for a restart. Any other ideas where it might be hiding?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...