Deployment Architecture

Error while adding search peer to search head

aksharp
Explorer

I'm getting the below error when adding a distributed search peer to search head on CLI or GUI.

/opt/splunk/bin/splunk add search-server x.x.x.x:8089 -auth admin:password -remoteUsername admin -remotePassword password
Invalid action for this internal handler (handler: distsearch-peer, supported: list|edit|remove|_reload|new|disable|enable|doc, wanted: create).

i'm able to connect to the indexer server via nc and there are no network or firewall blocks.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

aksharp
Explorer

Thanks for the help.
The problem was with the permissions on the trusted.pem, changing ownership and giving it to app account solved the error.
It was not showing any errors in splunkd.log on SH or on the indexer when adding the peer. It was throwing error at splunk startup on SH, which made it a little confusing.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

aksharp
Explorer

Thanks for the help.
The problem was with the permissions on the trusted.pem, changing ownership and giving it to app account solved the error.
It was not showing any errors in splunkd.log on SH or on the indexer when adding the peer. It was throwing error at splunk startup on SH, which made it a little confusing.

0 Karma

mtaher
Loves-to-Learn

I am facing the same issue, can you please explain this in detail:

"changing ownership and giving it to app account"

0 Karma

sudosplunk
Motivator

Just making sure, are you running this command on search head? If so, can you see any error or warning messages in splunkd.log when trying to add search to search head?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...