Deployment Architecture

Do you need to keep the same splunk.secret file on all the Indexer peers?

sreejith2k2
Explorer

As per the Splunk doc on Deploy secure passwords across multiple servers the splunk.secret file will be automatically replicated by the Search Head captain during the initial cluster deployment.

Though Indexer cluster is entirely different to the Search Head Clustering and we have 50+ indexers in the multisite cluster, my queries are

1. Do you need to keep the same Splunk.secret file on all the Indexer peers.
  2. Say, if we keep seperate splunk.secret on each indexer server and If we keep the plain text passwords in the server/inputs/outputs/authentication.conf files in the CyberArk, do we really need to worry on splunk.secret?

naveencardinalh
Engager

Yes, splunk.secret file should be same across all the cluster members.

sreejith2k2
Explorer

Hi naveencardinalhealth, Thanks. I havent seen any documentation within the splunk docs. For SH Cluster, I do agree with you (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Security/Deploysecurepasswordsacrossmultipleserv...) but for indexer i havent see any documentation.

0 Karma

naveencardinalh
Engager

You need to keep the same splunk.secret file in both indexers, shc layer, deployment server and HF's..

0 Karma

teunlaan
Contributor

1) No you don't need to
2) you are OK, if you keep everything in plain text

0 Karma

sreejith2k2
Explorer

2) you are OK, if you keep everything in plain text - but once the splunk is restarted, it will encrypt the passwords automatically.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...