Deployment Architecture

Do I need to point a new search head to the master node or search peers of an indexer cluster?

saifuddin9122
Path Finder

Hello,

I have an indexer cluster setup. I don't want to configure a search head node in a cluster. I want to start a new Splunk Enterprise instance that I want to enable as a search head and search across the clustered indexers
1) is this possible?
2) if yes, can I see it in the master node dashboard?

Thanks,
SK

0 Karma
1 Solution

Steve_G_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It's a bit unclear from your question exactly what you want to do. I think that you're asking whether you can search the indexer cluster from a search head that's not part of a search head cluster. If that's your question, then, the answer is "yes, that's a standard configuration."

You do need to designate the search head as a node in the indexer cluster, however. See: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.1/Indexer/Enablethesearchhead

View solution in original post

Steve_G_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It's a bit unclear from your question exactly what you want to do. I think that you're asking whether you can search the indexer cluster from a search head that's not part of a search head cluster. If that's your question, then, the answer is "yes, that's a standard configuration."

You do need to designate the search head as a node in the indexer cluster, however. See: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.1/Indexer/Enablethesearchhead

saifuddin9122
Path Finder

Thanks for your answer
and sorry , my question was unclear.

0 Karma

prakash007
Builder
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...