Deployment Architecture

Do I need to install deployment monitor, cluster master, search head cluster separately on the same machine?

ansif
Motivator

I have one machine for Deployer,Cluster Master,Deployment server and license master.Do I really need a separate installation of these components in same machine?If yes please help me with the steps,if no where the separate installation on same machine required for testing distributed environment?

0 Karma
1 Solution

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It will be one installation of Splunk performing multiple functions, you will not need to install multiple instances of Splunk on the same server.
The Splunk enterprise installation is the one binary you will require, the software can perform different functions depending on how you set it up...

For example a single instance can index and search.
Or act as an indexer and a license master (assuming you are not using indexer clustering).
Or act as cluster master, license master and deployment server.

As per the previous comments you will want to build a separate deployment server (new server/splunk instance) once you exceed a large number of deployment clients, however you can start with just 1 installation and 1 machine and change this later...

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It will be one installation of Splunk performing multiple functions, you will not need to install multiple instances of Splunk on the same server.
The Splunk enterprise installation is the one binary you will require, the software can perform different functions depending on how you set it up...

For example a single instance can index and search.
Or act as an indexer and a license master (assuming you are not using indexer clustering).
Or act as cluster master, license master and deployment server.

As per the previous comments you will want to build a separate deployment server (new server/splunk instance) once you exceed a large number of deployment clients, however you can start with just 1 installation and 1 machine and change this later...

0 Karma

ansif
Motivator

This answered my question.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@ansif, I have converted @garethatiag 's comment to Answer. Please Accept to mark this question as answered.

ansif
Motivator

Thanks @niketnilay.Its done.

0 Karma

cpetterborg
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The cluster master and license master are the same VM in my environment. The deployment server and deployer are separate VMs. The deployment server should be separate especially if you plan to grow to any size over a thousand UFs. It gets busy. The cluster master can also get busy as your environment increases. So if you are big enough to have a distributed environment, it's probably good to have those separate. The license master is the one that could be combined with another most easily, as I have.

0 Karma

ansif
Motivator

Thanks for the quick response,let me try to explain my question again. If I am planning to have all the above components in one server,do I need to install 3 times in different path and assignment each component with different management port? This is for testing environment. Will do the recommended deployment in production.

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

No, technically you don't. A Splunk role is defined by configuration and any instance can perform multiple roles, with literally only one exception: A deployment server cannot be a deployment client of itself.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...