Deployment Architecture

Different targets on a single deployment client

platform_pie

I have a situation where I'd like different apps to be deployed to different target locations on a single deployment client.

On the deployment server, everything is still in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/deployment-apps and I'd like to keep it that way. I was trying to use targetRepositoryLocation in the [serverClass:<server class name>:app:<app name>] stanza of serverclass.conf and serverRepositoryLocationPolicy=acceptAlways in deploymentclient.conf, but it wasn't working (everything was still being placed into $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps on the deployment client). I just looked again at the spec and it seems targetRepositoryLocation is only valid in the [global] stanza.

If I understand repositoryLocation correctly, this is the location on the deployment server where the apps for deployment can be found, so I don't think I can use that to change the target. However, I also can't set repositoryLocation in deploymentclient.conf, because I don't want to use the same target location for every app.

Is there a way to do this?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

lmyrefelt
Builder

Have a look at the serverRepositoryLocationPolicy=acceptAlways stanza inside deploymentclient.conf on the client/s, this in combination with a new serverclass / app and a new targetRepositoryLocation for that serverclass in serverclass.conf on the deployment server seems to be what controls what goes where .

I think i had this working the other day

0 Karma

tprzelom
Path Finder

I second this question, why can't I have greater control over where my apps deploy to?

0 Karma

rschutt
Explorer

This used to work until one of the patches for 4.2 came out, not sure what patch. Eversince Splunk reports a typo and will not use this line. This means that the default is used.

It looks like that for some reasons the "targetRepositoryLocation"-option is not supported anymore when used in other stanza's than "Global". Is this done on purpose or is this a bug?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...