Deployment Architecture

Detecting removable media

malex27

I need to detect when a removable media (USB stick, CD, external disks, ...) is attached or detached to our Linux servers.

Anyone implemented it?

Thanks
Alessio

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

rturk
Builder

Hi Malex27,

Typically, linux will write an entry into:
/var/log/messages

Whenever a USB device is plugged in or removed from the server. You can configure this to be manually monitored via a monitor stanza in your inputs.conf.

Alternatively, you can use the Splunk for Unix & Linux app to monitor the file and send the data to an Indexer for the purposes of reporting.

Hope this helps 🙂

View solution in original post

rturk
Builder

Hi Malex27,

Typically, linux will write an entry into:
/var/log/messages

Whenever a USB device is plugged in or removed from the server. You can configure this to be manually monitored via a monitor stanza in your inputs.conf.

Alternatively, you can use the Splunk for Unix & Linux app to monitor the file and send the data to an Indexer for the purposes of reporting.

Hope this helps 🙂

malex27

Thanks R.Turk,

I guess the first one is the simpler way, I just need to figure out the search patterns.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...