Deployment Architecture

Deployment server app behaviour

mwdbhyat
Builder

Hi there,

I have 2 questions around the DS behaviour in terms of how it handles apps already on servers. Currently a group of servers is all managed manually, this will change soon.

1. If I have an HF that is shared by 2 teams who have put manual apps on there, and want to add a a DS to it to manage the apps for 1 of the teams, will there be issues if 1 of the teams continues to add/edit their apps manually? I realise this is not ideal practice, but it has to be this way for <insert reason here>

2. With regards to the other servers, if i suddenly plug in a DS will it delete all the apps on the servers, if they dont appear in the serverclass i create? Or will it just leave any apps manually put there previously which i can then go in and delete later? This includes splunkbase apps with local config(my understanding is that it will only replace default?)

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

mwdbhyat
Builder

@gcusello @isoutamo 

Thanks for the replies. It seems this is not the behaviour for Splunk when it comes to HF, Cluster Master or Deployer. I manually added a bunch of apps on each server and then later assigned serverclasses with different apps. It left all the apps that were previously added manually. 

From a deployment perspective this is good news. However i agree that it should either be managed manually, or with a DS, not both. My question was more based around whether it would delete all the stuff on the existing servers if i suddenly connect it to a DS with a serverclass - the answer now tested being no it wouldnt. 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @mwdbhyat,

if a server is managed by the Deployment server, it cannot use apps that aren't in ServerClasses and you cannot set two DSs for the same client.

This means that you have to build and applicate an apps update process (in other words, define how pass updates infos to the one that will manage the DS) or continue to manually manage them; obviously the first is preferable!

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

mwdbhyat
Builder

@gcusello @isoutamo 

Thanks for the replies. It seems this is not the behaviour for Splunk when it comes to HF, Cluster Master or Deployer. I manually added a bunch of apps on each server and then later assigned serverclasses with different apps. It left all the apps that were previously added manually. 

From a deployment perspective this is good news. However i agree that it should either be managed manually, or with a DS, not both. My question was more based around whether it would delete all the stuff on the existing servers if i suddenly connect it to a DS with a serverclass - the answer now tested being no it wouldnt. 

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

when you are starting to manage UF with DS you must manage all apps in it with DS. DS will remove all other custom apps which has installed manually to UF.

You can add several serverclasses where this UFs belongs and all apps which are blinded to those will installed there.

r. Ismo

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...