Deployment Architecture

Deployment Server vs. Deployer- Can I send apps from the Deployment Server to the Deployer?

jotne
Builder

I do now that you need a Deployer to send apps to a Search Head Cluster, but there are one thing I do not find any answer to,  can I send apps from the Deployment Server to the Deployer?

Found this answer Deployment Server vs. Deployer

A deployment server is used to deploy apps to forwarders (and technically could be used to deploy apps to other Splunk servers as well but with a number of caveats)

Since Deployer is a Splunk server, I guess so.  It would be hard to maintain equal application on various server.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jotne,

as @isoutamo said. yes you could, but I'd avoid because I want a deep control on the apps deployed to SHs.

The real question is what's the advantage to do this?

I think that there's no advantage and it's easier to manage SH apps directly from the Deployer instead passing throgh the DS.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jotne,

as @isoutamo said. yes you could, but I'd avoid because I want a deep control on the apps deployed to SHs.

The real question is what's the advantage to do this?

I think that there's no advantage and it's easier to manage SH apps directly from the Deployer instead passing throgh the DS.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jotne,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated by all the contributors 😉

0 Karma

jotne
Builder

Thanks for the reply 🙂

The reason I do see to use deploy server for everything, are to make sure all apps are uniform.  Dashboard apps only goes to search heads, but TA apps, Index app and other goes to SH Cluster and to other Servers like index Servere.  So why not use Deployment server to control it all.  

When you update a TA app, it should one be needed to update it one place and all should be updated automatically.   This is why you have Deployment servers in  first place.

As I see it now, I can have a master Deployment server.  It sends app to Deployer ( fro SH Cluster) and to other Customer we have that have its own apps.  As of now we do use a lots of scripts, that are complicate to maintain and to understand.  Will have to study to whole deployment architecture 🙂

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HI   @jotne,

I understand you idea and I can accept it.

but in my mind I prefer to have a solid and detailed documentation about the apps to deploy and in this way I can manage all the apps to deploy.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Even you could use DS for all deployments I don’t propose to use it for that. As you couldn’t control when apps goes to SH, SHC, indexers and intermediate forwarders it could and probably will generate quite many unwanted situations when nodes reboot without warnings. 
It’s true that you definitely need a reliable CI/CD environment with repository like git to manage any real enterprise splunk environments. DS can be a part of this for UFs, but other nodes needs something else which offer more control to you to do things when you want to do those!

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

basically you can do it. You just need to define targetdir on Deployer side to point to correct place. His has to n conf file instruction. But the common consensus is that you should use DS just for deploying apps to UFs and HFs if those are used just source systems and those apps can manage with DS.

When you want to deploy apps to real splunk servers and to intermediate forwarders you really need some way to control the order and do managed restarts / apply bundles to other nodes. These are tasks which you can’t do with DS.

r. Ismo

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...