Deployment Architecture

Deployment Server : Unable to deploy apps (Splunk 5.0.2)

koshyk
Super Champion

Unfortunately, i'm unable to get a forwarder app deployed using deployment Server. Below is what I' ve done till now (Splunk 5.0.2)
- Port Connections Ok
- Able to phone home correctly from forwarder

@Deployment Server

1. App: /opt/splunk/etc/deployment-apps/UNIX_FWDER
  2. serverclass: /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/serverclass.conf

@Deployment client

1. Expected Forwarder app location: /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps
  2. DeplomentClient Conf: /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/deployclient/local/deploymentclient.conf

As per Splunk Wiki I did lot of debugging. Turned on DEBUG in client & Server. Client log is

12-03-2013 14:47:06.736 +0000 DEBUG DeploymentClient - Phone home recvd reply: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>\n<deployResponse restartSplunkd="true" restartSplunkWeb="false" stateOnClient="enabled" repositoryLocation="$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps" endpoint="$deploymentServerUri$/services/streams/deployment?name=$tenantName$:$serverClassName$:$appName$">\n  <serverClass name="FWDR1"/>\n</deployResponse>\n

serverclass.conf

[global]
restartSplunkd = true

[serverClass:FWDR1]
whitelist.0=*

So definitely, the Client is identifying the Server class and phoning every 60s. But the apps are NOT copied from "deployment-apps" in Server to "/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps" in the client. Anyone Experienced this issue before?

0 Karma
1 Solution

koshyk
Super Champion

Ok, Found the problem.
This is related to Previous Thread "http://answers.splunk.com/answers/96782/per-app-machinetypesfilter-broken-in-serverclassconf"

I'm not sure it's a bug or NOT.
But I have to add whitelist.0 at every app level !!

Thanks again aholzer for pointing me in right direction.

View solution in original post

koshyk
Super Champion

Ok, Found the problem.
This is related to Previous Thread "http://answers.splunk.com/answers/96782/per-app-machinetypesfilter-broken-in-serverclassconf"

I'm not sure it's a bug or NOT.
But I have to add whitelist.0 at every app level !!

Thanks again aholzer for pointing me in right direction.

aholzer
Motivator

Also after you change your serverclass.conf or make changes to a deployment-apps app, make sure to run $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk reload deploy-server

Otherwise the deployment server will not know about the changes and continue distributing based on the old serverclass.conf and old apps

0 Karma

aholzer
Motivator

I'd suggest testing with a single forwarder first. Simply try:

whitelist.0=your_test_forwarder
[serverClass:FWDR1:app:UNIX_FWDER]

Also note, that "UNIX_FWDER" needs to be the name of the folder of your app. ("/opt/splunk/etc/deployment-apps/UNIX_FWDER")

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

I tried that before .. but a bit more specific..
[serverClass:FWDR1:app:UNIX_FWDER]
machineTypesFilter=linux*

But didn't work. So thought to put a simplified filtering

0 Karma

aholzer
Motivator

Is that your entire serverclass.conf? If it is that is your problem. You are missing the stanza that defines what app to send to your serverClass. See example:

[global]
restartSplunkd = true

whitelist.0=*
[serverClass:FWDR1:app:your_app]

This last stanza lets the deployment server know that it should send "your_app" to the serverClass FWDR1, which in your case would send it to everything that is a deploymentclient.

Hope this helps.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...