Deployment Architecture

Deployment Server Questions: Host matching

kholleran
Communicator

Hi,

I am trying to start using the Deployment Server in Splunk to manage my enterprise of a single indexer & about 100 forwarders.

1.) I am trying to understand the whitelist/blacklist host matching. I have a series of classes & what I want to say is:
"Don't accept anything unless it matches these patterns."

To do that I have the following:
[serverClass:Intercard-Teller-POS]
blacklist.0=*
whitelist.0=.(P|p)(os|OS)
whitelist.1=.(T|t)(eller|ELLER)

The way I understood it was "blacklist everything unless it matches whitelist 1 or 2." I have a series of classes like this, then I have a "catch-all" at the end like this:
[serverClass:therest]
whitelist.0=*
blacklist.0=.(P|p)(os|OS)

where I am trying to say "match everything EXCEPT these patterns (with a list of all the whitelisted patterns used above."

Now my problem is I have a machine called BB377DTELLER2 that I am testing the configuration on & it is showing up in the "therest" class. Am I misunderstanding how the whitelist/blacklists work? I do not have anything in the top level global stanza.

Thanks!

Kevin

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

mslvrstn
Communicator

Your style of starting with blacklist.0=* assumes you have set filterType = blacklist above. It's probably just as easy to leave that out and use the default filtertype of whitelist.

The other issue is that the matches must be complete, so to match those patterns within the hostname, surround them with *

Try

whitelist.0=*(P|p)(os|OS)*
whitelist.1=*(T|t)(eller|ELLER)*

whitelist.0=*
blacklist.0=*(P|p)(os|OS)*
blacklist.1=*(T|t)(eller|ELLER)*

View solution in original post

kholleran
Communicator

Though filterType=whitelist is supposed to be the default, I put that in and everything is working as expected now...

0 Karma

mslvrstn
Communicator

Your style of starting with blacklist.0=* assumes you have set filterType = blacklist above. It's probably just as easy to leave that out and use the default filtertype of whitelist.

The other issue is that the matches must be complete, so to match those patterns within the hostname, surround them with *

Try

whitelist.0=*(P|p)(os|OS)*
whitelist.1=*(T|t)(eller|ELLER)*

whitelist.0=*
blacklist.0=*(P|p)(os|OS)*
blacklist.1=*(T|t)(eller|ELLER)*

kholleran
Communicator

I have stumped EVERYONE! No, but really.... anyone?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...