Deployment Architecture

Deployment Client downloads configuration from local dir on DS to default dir on client.

bmarona
Explorer

Hello All,

We are facing the problem with Deployment server and maybe one of you met with such DS behavior in past. 

All HF instances are with Splunk Enterprise 7.3.3 and they are connected with Deployment Server with the same Splunk version. We have apps with content created in local directory (totally custom apps and modified apps from Splunk Base as well) placed in deployment-apps directory. When we install the app on clients in server class then that app is downloaded by clients in correct way - content from default is placed in default directory, configuration from local is placed in local directory on client . The issue shows up when we modify those apps on DS and reload deploy-server. Then modified configuration from local dir is placed in default on clients. The problem is because old content is still in local on client and new configuration is ignored because local has higher priority.

I tried to search in splunkd.log on both - client and DS - but unfortunately there is nothing interesting related to DS.

Thanks,
Bart

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bmarona
Explorer

Hi,

I know what was the issue. I found in one app a serverclass.conf file with stanza:
[global]
excludeFromUpdate = $app_root$/local
The setting was no longer needed so i have disabled it and DS deploys configuration to Splunk local dir.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

bmarona
Explorer

Hi,

I know what was the issue. I found in one app a serverclass.conf file with stanza:
[global]
excludeFromUpdate = $app_root$/local
The setting was no longer needed so i have disabled it and DS deploys configuration to Splunk local dir.

0 Karma

bmarona
Explorer

Thanks for advise but the behavior is the same even when i have fully custom app (only local dir in it). First installation is ok, everything is located in local on client (like on DS), after any modification on DS side and splunk reload deploy-server configuration is downloaded to to default.

0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

this sounds interesting, I have never come across this type of problem with DS. I would recommend you to have only local, remove default if possible.

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...