Deployment Architecture

Deploying wmi.conf for windows universal forwarders with deployment-server

dturner83
Path Finder

I need a little help with the ability to deploy wmi.conf to my clients.

As I understand the wmi.conf must go into the /etc/system/local folder on the windows client. How do I put this file in there OR tell splunk to look in the /etc/apps/[deployment-client app] folder which gets put there properly, for the wmi.conf file?

Splunk 4.3.1 with deployment-server, have about 30 windows universal forwarders with proper serverclass.conf

Tags (2)
1 Solution

iunderwood
Path Finder

I apologize for being late to the party, as it were.

Use your deployment server properly and create an app for the WMI stuff. In this case, we'll call it winsvr-localwmi. Place your wmi.conf in the default directory:

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/deployment-apps/winsvr-localwmi/default

If you don't have the input defined, you'll need an inputs.conf in the same directory:

[script://$SPLUNK_HOME\bin\scripts\splunk-wmi.path]
disabled = 0

Lastly, be sure your universal forwards restart after the change, or you might end up scratching your head. I made a server class for all my Windows machines. Since my Splunk installation is all RHEL, all my Windows boxes are UFs only.

I put this in my serverclass.conf:

[serverClass:Forwarder_Universal_Windows]
blacklist.0 = *
disabled = 0
filterType = blacklist
machineTypes = windows-intel,windows-x64
restartSplunkd = True

Posting this anyway because I hate finding answers more than once. 🙂

View solution in original post

iunderwood
Path Finder

I apologize for being late to the party, as it were.

Use your deployment server properly and create an app for the WMI stuff. In this case, we'll call it winsvr-localwmi. Place your wmi.conf in the default directory:

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/deployment-apps/winsvr-localwmi/default

If you don't have the input defined, you'll need an inputs.conf in the same directory:

[script://$SPLUNK_HOME\bin\scripts\splunk-wmi.path]
disabled = 0

Lastly, be sure your universal forwards restart after the change, or you might end up scratching your head. I made a server class for all my Windows machines. Since my Splunk installation is all RHEL, all my Windows boxes are UFs only.

I put this in my serverclass.conf:

[serverClass:Forwarder_Universal_Windows]
blacklist.0 = *
disabled = 0
filterType = blacklist
machineTypes = windows-intel,windows-x64
restartSplunkd = True

Posting this anyway because I hate finding answers more than once. 🙂

aojie654
Path Finder

A great idea that work perfectly!

0 Karma

dturner83
Path Finder

WOW iunderwood this works perfectly. Thank you very much.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...